What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vintage Medical Drawing Tutorial

Natalee Allyn

Hello fellow Photoshoppers!!! I'm looking to create a vintage medical drawing from a photo in photoshop and was curious if there were suggestions, tutorials, etc. that may help me achieve this effect. I've attached an image of what look I'm going for and would love to get some feedback. Thanks!

il_570xN.363069276_6d0q.jpg

It's relatively easy to simulate the antique paper and printing, but there's no way to automatically, or even semi-automatically turn a photography into something that would ever be mistaken for an old pen and ink drawing. There are tutorials on this, and there are even plugins that try to give a similar look, e.g., Engraver, but it will still come down your skill in drawing / illustration.

One benefit of drawing in PS is that PS makes it very easy to trace a photo, but the downside is that one is tempted to make your drawing too much like the photo. I've heard several people say that they have tried this and then just went back to drawing with a pen and paper, but then scanned it and brought it into PS to give it the antique look.

HTH,

Tom M

That's what I figured. I was just hoping there was some way that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for your quick reply!!! I appreciate it!!

Back