What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save corrupted PSD file?

herhutatmoo

Hi everybody!I was drawing on my tablet in Photoshop. I just saved my work in PSD extension (as I always do because it allows me to use it in different programs like Photoshop,Corel,IllustStudio and SAI without merging the layers), then I went and added few more 'dots' on it, then saved it again so I can get out of the program, but whole computer froze and I waited for atleast 5-7 min but it wouldn't unfreeze itself so I manually restarted it. When I turned it on and went to check on my file, it wouldn't want to open in neither of the programs I have!Every program kept saying: ' Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop document.'Please help me, I've been doing this piece whole day, and it's one of my best works ever, I really don't want to loose it.Thanks all.

Steve

Retired Administrator
What version of PS do you have?
Newer versions automatically save recovery information every ## minute.

You would need to check your settings to see if your version does and where the recovery folder is.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You might try changing the name of the file.

magnusforsberg

< Simply, you need to go to this directory(see in the image below) where the AutoRecover folder in present. This is found in “C:\Users\YourUsername\Appdata\Roaming\Adobe\AdobePhotoshop CS6\Autorecover”.

The App Data folder by default is hidden and therefore you need to change the folder settings for this purpose. You will find the last used file in the Auto recover folder in .psb format, which you can open up to get back to that particular unsaved file.

< Use third party solution if previous instruction wasn't effective to you Recovery Toolbox for Photoshop https://photoshop.recoverytoolbox.com/

Tom Mann

Guru
@magnusforsberg - Do you have any personal experience with the Recovery Toolbox software that you recommended? Specifically, do you know if it works on the newest versions of PS? I got a bit worried when their website mentioned compatibility with Win Vista, Lotus Notes, etc.

Thanks,

Tom M