What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replace a Wacom Bamboo - What with?

TonyCooper

My Wacom Bamboo CTE 450 seems to have died, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Looking at Wacom's site, all the emphasis is to drawing. I don't do that. I use the
pen in editing in PS CS 2014, and primarily when I'm editing a Layer Mask. Further,
I have no interest in the "touch" functions or pen pressure. I just want a tablet used with a pen. I
don'tneed a large working area because I'm always working zoomed in.

It seems the Intuos Creative Small Pen Tablet or the Bamboo Capture Pen and Tablet
are the two choices. Which?

Are there any other brands of pen tablets that I should consider?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tony...I will tell you get another Bamboo.....I love mine, and it will do what you need.

That said read thru this thread, Larry found a cheaper alternative...

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...w-tablet-pretty-good-price-turcom-6610-a.html

I have since advised against that tablet. It was OK as a stop gap but the driver was just nuts. It constantly stopped and had to be restarted. Factory sent me a new driver but it wasn't much better. Amazon has several models of these alternatives, but if a Bamboo works for you go that route. I believe I recall that the Intuos tablets replace the Bamboo until you get to the Pro. I have a Medium Intuos Pro and it is great but $300.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I can safely swear by a huion 1060 pro + it cost me £50 (£15 less than a low end bamboo) and the only real qualm I have is that the cable is too short.

other than that its a good, solid, no gimmick tablet, the work area is large, I know you said that wasnt a massive issue, but its handy. there's 2048 levels of pressure, and the driver isnt too shabby at all.
the 1060 pro+ pen does have a rechargable battery, not sure how well that goes down with you seeing as wacoms dont use a battery, but you can still use it when it charges.
it comes with an inbuild micro SD hc reader and a 4gb micro sd card, which i personally didnt care for.