What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with house colors

SlinkyBMX

About to paint inside the house and I just tried a yellow I do not like... Before I go blow more money on paint I dont like, can someone please edit a couple pictures to give me a vague idea what it will look like. Attached are two marked up pictures with W, G, B; White, Gray and Beige. This painting thing is driving me nuts! I also attached two clean pictures without being marked up. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• home-design.jpg
    home-design.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 5
  • home-design-sample.jpg
    home-design-sample.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2
  • home-design2-sample.jpg
    home-design2-sample.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 3
  • home-design2.jpg
    home-design2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2
  • beige.jpg
    beige.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 24
  • gray.jpg
    gray.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 23
  • white.jpg
    white.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 22

SlinkyBMX

Are you missing a color there?
Hopefully a member will help you out.

All the colors are there :) I just think the white blends in with the forum background. To see the color on the image file, it appears you need to right click and do save as and the color name is on the file.

MrToM

Guru
All the sample colours are there but I did have to re-load the page to get them.....only 2 loaded first time.

Just in case anyone else only sees 2 colour samples there are in fact 3...beige, gray and white. (Thats by filename btw....not what they look like)

Regards.
MrTom.

PGalangArt

Here you go. Word of advice, I worked at the paint department at Home Depot for a couple of years and pictures aren't much to go by when trying colors. Also, the paint will look completely different in the morning with sun light. If available, purchase color samples to paint on the walls and see how you like them through the day. Home Depot had 8 oz bottles for around $3.

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
To add on to the excellent advice given by PGalangArt, I would point out that there are several reasons pictures taken by non-pro photographers are almost always misleading for this purpose. Most people are completely unaware of these problems, and, on the surface, it certainly might seem that taking a photo would be a really good way to visualize the end result. However ...

1. The lights in any room outside an art museum are rarely matched in color, so one area might be bathed in a more greenish light (if compact fluorescent lights were used), other areas in different warm glows from different wattage tungsten bulbs used, while other areas could potentially be illuminated by much colder light from a photographic flash or the outside daylight (if taken during the day). In addition, the CRI (color rendering index) of CFLs are usually horrible for photographic purposes.

2. Most amateur photographers leave the auto-white-balance turned on when they take the photo. This means that we have absolutely no idea how much, and in exactly what direction the camera's AWB system tried to compensate for the colors present.

3. If you actually see your White, Gray and Beige patches as those colors, you most likely photographed them with the same problems described in #1 and #2, above, and/or your monitor is severely out of calibration. (As first hinted at by Mr.Tom). On my top of the line monitor, color calibrated just yesterday, your color patches actually are three variants of beige. Not even close to white, gray and beige.

If you want to use a photographic approach to simulating how an interior will look, hire a pro who specializes in architectural interiors to photograph it for you. OTOH, an easier and much less costly approach is to do what PGalangArt suggested and just buy a few paint samples and see how it will actually look on your own walls, with your own eyes, thereby completely eliminating the sources of error mentioned above.

Good luck with your project!

Tom M