What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello;) Advice / Direction required to help 'lift' a 'flat' illustration quickly

Julesbunny

Hello all, I am new to this group. I've had an illustration produced for a client. It was rather complex so decision was made to make it tonally very similar. All well and good, however client has shared it with his customers and the comment came back that it was a bit flat. Client said change it to blue... but we all know that won't really change it - just make it blue and flat. Client budget is spent but I just wondered if there was something whizzy that could be done to add some zing to the illustration by someone with Photoshop expertise. Maybe add some kind of filter around the window frames? I have attached a low-res screen grab - really keen to hear any thoughts sharings this groups of gurus has;) CheerioJulesbunny

Re: Hello;) Advice / Direction required to help 'lift' a 'flat' illustration quick

Hi Julesbunny and welcome to the forum.
I can't see your image. Please upload a section of your image in high resolution here:
picture upload.jpg

Julesbunny

Re: Hello;) Advice / Direction required to help 'lift' a 'flat' illustration quick

I have a psd of this if it helps. I hope the JPG loaded ok.... (it didn't show a preview after upload)... thanks

Attachments

• Schoolcover 4a.jpg
    Schoolcover 4a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Maybe this will help you.

1. Curves.jpg Schoolcover 4a_chrisdesign1_1200pixel.jpg
1. Curves tool like this.

2.Curves.jpg Schoolcover 4a_chrisdesign2_1200pixel.jpg
2. Curves tool like this.

Julesbunny

WOW Chris - that is awesome and wonderful sharing. When I have finished chores I will have a go and see how I get on;)
Talented man you.
big thanks
Jules

I'm glad I could help.
Regards Chris.

Tom Mann

Guru

FWIW, I have found that depending on the level of openness and artistic freedom you have in your relationship with the client, sometimes it helps to offer them three or four options ranging from "minor changes to what you saw previously" all the way up to "going completely bonkers" (LOL) explaining that it's trivial to change things like brightness, contrast, saturation of any step in the sequence.

I find this presentation technique particularly useful if you show them the version you actually prefer in the middle of the sequence, so that by comparison, the version you (secretly) favor seems the perfect compromise between being too bland and too much. Attached is an animated GIF example of this approach. The captions on each image should give you an idea of the efx I applied at each step along the way.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• Schoolcover_4a-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_698px_hi_comparisons_for_GIF.gif
    Schoolcover_4a-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_698px_hi_comparisons_for_GIF.gif
    848 KB · Views: 12