What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlining A Layer/Item With Vector Based Image?

jdlev

Hi guys,

Forgive me as I'm still learning the terminology used in Photoshop. So here's what I'm trying to do. I want to snap a bicycle chain to the work path I created around a logo. Basically have a bicycle chain bend and maneuver it's way around the whole outside of this logo which is it's own layer. So far all I've been able to do is get it to reveal the bike chain using a brush with a pattern I created. I can't actually bend the bike chain or have it follow the path. The pattern I made is made up of multiple links in the chain, and is a fairly sizable image, should I just go for one link in the chain and make it much smaller, and then try it again?

Thanks for any help!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi jedlv
Welcome to the forum.
In so far as I know, the only thing that can be set to follow a vector path is text, if that was your question.

Last edited:

hawkeye

Guru
Make a path. Set the bike chain brush Shape Dynamic Angle Jitter to Direction, then stroke the path with the bush

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Make a path. Set the bike chain brush Shape Dynamic Angle Jitter to Direction, then stroke the path with the bush

Demo please. The OP is a new user, I am interested to see this also. This is not really fitting to a path, this is a brush application. Does OP have a brush made of the chain?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Does OP have a brush made of the chain?...

Good point Larry.....looks like they have a 'pattern' but not a brush preset...

...So far all I've been able to do is get it to reveal the bike chain using a brush with a pattern I created. I can't actually bend the bike chain or have it follow the path. The pattern I made is made up of multiple links in the chain, and is a fairly sizable image, should I just go for one link in the chain and make it much smaller, and then try it again?...

I'd suggest creating a 'link' shaped brush preset...

brush_preset_01.png

Then create the path....keep it selected.
Open the 'Brush' tool panel.
Set the brush to the previously created 'link' preset.
Under 'Shape Dynamics' set the Angle Jitter to 'Direction'.

At the bottom of the 'Paths' panel is the 'Stroke Path with Brush' icon...second from left.
Click that and the path should be stroked with the 'link' brush.

brush_panel_01.png

Unless you are extremely lucky or just a really good guesser it will not align properly first time.
Simply 'Undo' the last action (Stroke Path with Brush) and change the 'Spacing' setting under 'Brush Tip Shape'.
Stroke the path again to see the changes.
Repeat until the 'links' align....or however you want them.

I could of course totally misunderstood the question.

Regards.
MrTom.

jdlev

Demo please. The OP is a new user, I am interested to see this also. This is not really fitting to a path, this is a brush application. Does OP have a brush made of the chain?

I tried making a brush (my first time doing this also), and it was a failure lol. It painted the chain, but just a flat chain that followed no change in direction around the exterior of the layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a quick observation, you have mentioned vector based in your thread title..........as a reminder, a brush stroke is not vector based and you may have scaling problems.

In order to be vector based, the chain and it's parts must be created with shape tools. The process is a bit more involved.

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 9.21.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 9.21.52 PM.png