What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Photoshop impasto brush, Smear of chunky paste

jlames

I have been looking for days to see if there's a Photoshop brush set that creates 3d-ish strokes like an artist's palette knife would; rather like a smear of oil pain, clay or anything like that. I've only been with Photoshop for 20-years so you'd think I'd know this but I simply don't. Thanks for the help.
smudge.jpgPlease !!!!!

Last edited:

jlames

Hello James and welcome to PSG.

Take a look at some of these:

http://myphotoshopbrushes.com/brushes/id/3090/

http://designm.ag/inspiration/450-free-acrylic-and-paint-photoshop-brushes/

If all else fails......make your own.........

View attachment 54789

Thank you, I certainly appreciate your response. I've seen these before but the don't have that "chunk-o-stuff" look so I guess I'll have to learn how to make my own and keep looking. I just thought surely someone must have gone there before me. Thanks again.

jlames

After a week, I'm no further. I can't believe no one in this Photoshop world , especially here where the really inventive people hang out, can tell me how to do this or at least point me in the right direction. It many not even be a brush!
cappuccinomain.jpg

jlames

If anyone's wondering, I'm still scratching my head. I can't figure out HOW to do this?! Anybody???

Tom Mann

Guru
Instead of PS, use a fairly recent version of Corel Painter, and look at the Impasto Brushes that ship with Painter, or, if you find nothing that you like among them, look online for Impasto brushes for Painter developed by other folks. I find their brushes much, much better than those of PS (although PS brushes have gotten better in the past few releases).

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
You could also lay down some thick gobs of paint, have a good photographer take pix of them, and use them to make custom PS brushes ... but still look at Painter first.

Tom M

jlames

Thanks Tom. If I were to try that, how would I "make a brush" if I already have some high rez images of smears?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your right, these may not be brushes. High rez paint smears can be any color you want.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.16.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.16.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.17.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.17.33 PM.png

It would really help if you told us what you are trying to do.

But you can make them into brushes....

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.21.46 PM.png

It would be hours of hard work to actually create your own paint smear from scratch. You would have to be an exceptional artist to do this.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even if you make a Ps brush from a high rez image, when you click and drag the brush this is what you get........

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 6.34.02 PM.png

You will never be able to make a brush that acts like real paint being applied with a pallet knife.

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, the brushes in Painter actually can, IMHO, give a fairly good impasto effect, certainly better than PS brushes. Below is a random example of different impasto brushes, knives, etc. that I put together using Painter. Although it means acquiring and learning a new program, I think the OP should look into this.

Tom M

Attachments

• Every_brush_under_the_sun-01-ps01a-01jpg-xnv-for_web.jpg
    Every_brush_under_the_sun-01-ps01a-01jpg-xnv-for_web.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 19

Paul

Former Member
Go take a look through the vast brush presets over at DEVIANTART

Tom Mann

Guru
Paul - Do they have brushes for Corel Painter over there, not just PS?

I ask because, as far as I know, Sam is right when he says, "You will never be able to make a brush that acts like real paint being applied with a pallet knife." (at least in PS).

Although I must confess that I haven't checked in quite a while, Painter's brush algorithms appear to be fundamentally different from Photoshop's in that they allow paint to be pushed around, built up, etc., much more closely approximating real world paints than the simple repetition of the same image that you get if you drag a PS brush around. That's what I attempted to show in that little example I posted.

As far as I know (following a quick search), the only other software that *may* allow semi-realistic impasto effects are Procreate and ArtRage, but I have no personal experience with these, only Corel Painter. So, if DeviantArt only has brushes for PS, it's not going to help him very much.

Tom M