What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create

Jan Nowak

Hey, I've been doing graphics related work for several years now, but only now did it land me a job.

Mostly my task is about giving the client a visualization, basically a preview of how his desired logo will look when embossed (or debossed) on the metal surface. My boss tells me that I'm doing a good job, but I know it doesn't look perfectly ideal, so could anyone tell me how I should make these short of effects?

Currently (as I show in the attachments), I always start with making a frontal view of the text, which is what gets commonly explained in tutorials online regarding emboss effects.

Then, I put the image on the tin can.I sometimes toy with the opacity and other effects.

This is considered serviceable. However on closer glance, it is problematic:
For one, it's hard to tell if it's embossed or debossed.
I feel like it's because I still use it as a 2d image with no real depth, while with it meant to be an illusion of a 3d text, it should bend with the perspective, however I have some trouble to wrap my head around that//

Hence I want to ask: Does anyone know a way to make this look much better?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I tried doing something myself, hence the last third image, it's am improvement, but still... maybe someone knows something better?

Attachments

• emboss_1.jpg
    emboss_1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 38
  • emboss_2.jpg
    emboss_2.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 4
  • emboss_3.jpg
    emboss_3.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I waited for someone more competent to answer this thread. But I'll give it a try now.
I'm not an expert with text but I can guide you along with the perspective problem.
It is the same procedure if you would place an image on the top of the lid of your product.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-15 um 20.08.34.png
Place your text very big on a new layer.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-15 um 20.22.20.png
The red square is just to show the perspective lines.
Convert the text into a smart object.
Transform--> tilt-->distort your text to match the perspective lines.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-15 um 20.31.44.png
Add your "embossing" and
scale down to the desired size.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-15 um 20.37.52.png
Final adjustments for blending.

I hope I could help to solve at least one of your questions.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Jan, one thing I will add is that, in addition to size and perspective, the way to make pressed or embossed text look correct is making sure that you match the light source of the original image.

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.35.05 AM.png

Last edited: