What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop effect of lighting setup in this photo?

theCharlie

Hello guys! A friend of mine wants me to take a photo of him similarly as the image attached in this post. I wonder if the "warm" colours of this photo have been created by the lighting setup or by a PS filter; if so, how can I recreate it? Thank you very much for your attention.

P.S. Sorry for my English, i'm Italian :)

Attachments

• 10817943_525115240924263_1846559576_n.jpg
    10817943_525115240924263_1846559576_n.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 34

Tom Mann

Guru
Welcome, Charlie.

One can get colors like this either with warm lighting, or using an appropriate image editor, or using a combination of both techniques.

Since the image was originally posted on Instagram, I think it's pretty likely that the photographer used one of the Instagram filters, but it's difficult to be absolutely certain of this.

What is clear is that beyond the issue of the color, the lighting is extremely important to this photo. It is what is sometimes called soft, wrap-around lighting. It could be coming from some large area, soft natural light source like a window (probably with curtains), but my guess is that the lighting came from a large softbox (on viewer's right) plus a large reflector (on viewer's left). Usually one can tell something about the lighting from the reflections in the eye of the subject, but in this case, the image is so small, I can't see the reflection clearly.

HTH,

Tom M

theCharlie

Welcome, Charlie.

One can get colors like this either with warm lighting, or using an appropriate image editor, or using a combination of both techniques.

Since the image was originally posted on Instagram, I think it's pretty likely that the photographer used one of the Instagram filters, but it's difficult to be absolutely certain of this.

What is clear is that beyond the issue of the color, the lighting is extremely important to this photo. It is what is sometimes called soft, wrap-around lighting. It could be coming from some large area, soft natural light source like a window (probably with curtains), but my guess is that the lighting came from a large softbox (on viewer's right) plus a large reflector (on viewer's left). Usually one can tell something about the lighting from the reflections in the eye of the subject, but in this case, the image is so small, I can't see the reflection clearly.

HTH,

Tom M

Thank you so much for all the infos. So you think that it will be impossible to recreate the effect using just an external flashgun and Photoshop?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
I was able to find the source of this image, as well as a version of it in a larger size. I first found a copy of it on Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/brisaissa/barber-boys/

And, from there, tracked it down to a well known photographer:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...02678923810.2018048.1131831430&type=1&theater

Here is the photographer's page on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/krijnphoto

which also features the photo you are interested in.

Given that it was taken by a pro photographer, I doubt that he used an Instagram effect, but instead, probably used pro software, ie, Photoshop.

With respect to you obtaining a similar look with an "external flashgun", you might be able to if you shoot the flash through a large, light tan colored piece of fabric (eg, like a sheet for a bed). This is sometimes called a "scrim".

You will also need to have a very large, and darker piece of cloth hanging up at least 3 or 4 meters in back of the subject to act as the background. You will get the best results if you do this outside at night or in a room with very dark color walls. This is to reduce stray bounce light.

Depending on the color of your scrim, the color might not need to be changed very much in PS.

HTH,

Tom M

MikeMc

McGuru
I would look for a white tent like structure.....with direct sunlight above and in front, a fill flash and or reflector would come close.....I use my "garage" and my son has a 10' x 10' portable... Lighting is the key here, filters and looks are easy to add.....look at the shadows around the eyes....catchlights help, BUT the shadows know....

10x10 tent 800x600.jpg

theCharlie

Thanks to both of you for alla the valuable advices. And what about these other photos? How can I recreate this particular "vintage drawing" effect?10958244_389294224586379_1770630180_n.jpg11093081_674754242650893_863443358_n.jpg11137824_1380965322231352_1776733259_n.jpg

attractive-man-wearing-t-shirt-close-up-portrait.jpg
I used this image.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-21 um 21.53.26.png
added a 2nd layer, set on multiply and filled it with color i picked up in the shirt of the vintage guy with the fancy mustache.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-21 um 21.58.50.png
desaturated and darkened the yellow color of the original layer. Added some noise.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
...and to top off the effect, a dash of medium radius USM on the hair (using Sam's tweak as my starting point). :)

Tom M

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2015-04-21_at_3p33p15_PM-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB-01.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-04-21_at_3p33p15_PM-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_sRGB-01.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 20

Tom Mann

Guru
... of course, if you want to spend a bit more time, you can manually dodge and burn the comb marks in his hair, but the medium R USM approach only took seconds to roughly push the image in the right direction, LOL.

T