What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tracking filter steps

johnjj

Hi all

Is there a way to follow the steps that happen when I choose a particular filter so I could make it by myself?
I use the 'plastic wrap' filter but I want to change several components that are made automatically and I do not want all of them.
thanks.

(Basically I take white lines on a black background and use the 'Plastic warp' filter, it thickens the lines and changes the texture and that's good for me - but it adds a bright spot behind the lines, which I do not want because I need it in a separate layer).

colleague

Guru
you can brush with black on the unwanted parts
or
you can use a mask on your layer to hide unwanted parts
but then your background has to be black

Attachments

• glow.jpg
    glow.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 4

johnjj

Thanks mate. I have many symbols that I import from Illustrator, and then I turn the lines to white and the background to black, and use 'Plastic warp' because I'm happy with the result of the lines, but the problem is that I want to control the size and the color of the illuminated spot at the background which is impossible. The question is, whether there is a way to know what exactly does the filter so I could do it myself.

Tom Mann

Guru
Although I haven't specifically tried to find the code or even a detailed description of the algorithms used in the various filters, I've never seen it, and I doubt Adobe would release their code. This is the only way to tell exactly how each filter achieves its effect, and thereby reconstruct it yourself from the individual steps.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing you might consider is creating the effect yourself.

Minus the highlights, which you could add later, you can make an ACTION that would closely 'mimic' the effect that can be applied to any white line or symbol. Then you can add another layer mimicking the size, color, and placement of the illuminated spot.

Line...
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.52.17 AM.png

Layer style.....
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.52.59 AM.png

Soft BG glow and line expansion....
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.53.12 AM.png

Black contrasting BG......
Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 7.53.31 AM.png

Then you could add your highlights separately, because they would all be different, and illumination in any size, color, or position you desired.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 8.04.00 AM.png

Just an idea.

colleague

Guru
it's easy to get rid of the bright spot
if you enlarge the canvas and place your lines all to the left
and after using the filter just crop

and you can make an action with these steps to speed it up

Attachments

• glow2.jpg
    glow2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1

johnjj

thanks all,
I have not yet found the right solution. When I change the white lines and then add background I do not reach the outcome of the filter. (I don't know Photoshop so well) And if I place the lines at the side before filter it - it is the closest solution but it missing some bright line around the shape that had been added if it was at the center…

see at the corners there is a shine light only at the triangle at the center

e33.jpg

finely I want to control the size of the light behind the symbol, the color and place. I'v got many symbols to make like this and they are different from each other.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
thanks all,
I have not yet found the right solution. When I change the white lines and then add background I do not reach the outcome of the filter. (I don't know Photoshop so well) And if I place the lines at the side before filter it - it is the closest solution but it missing some bright line around the shape that had been added if it was at the center…

see at the corners there is a shine light only at the triangle at the center.

finely I want to control the size of the light behind the symbol, the color and place. I'v got many symbols to make like this and they are different from each other.

Yes, everything I suggested in post #5 will give you exactly what you want.