What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Quick Selection Tool help please.

PhotoBarney

I'm new to Photoshop and I'm trying to figure out how to best use Photoshop's Quick Selection tool.
I've watched some videos and I'm not having the kind of success I see in the videos.
Sometimes it selects to much sometimes not enough, sometimes totally unpredictable results.
Thanks

MrToM

Guru
The 'Quick Selection' tool is unique in that it will 'learn' the more you use it.....per use, not forever.

Once you have a 'Rough' marquee use 'SHIFT' to ADD to the marquee, and 'ALT' to SUBTRACT from the marquee.

The tool will progressively get better at 'guessing' exactly which pixels you want to use and which you don't, so the more you add and subtract the better the 'edge' will get.

Just keep going at it...it'll get better.

Regards.
MrTom.

PhotoBarney

Thanks MrTom.
What do the settings on the toolbar do especially the pixel size.
Also what does auto enhance do?
Thanks in advance

MrToM

Guru
Thanks MrTom.
What do the settings on the toolbar do especially the pixel size.
Also what does auto enhance do?
Thanks in advance

Pixel size?
There's a Brush Size but pixel size?

Auto enhance kind of, well, enhances automatically.
I guess it tries even harder to get things right.

Try it and see....to be honest I never use the tool so have never witnessed the benefits of 'Auto Enhance'.....but it sounds good!

Just play around with it....every image is different so the tool will react differently every time....Auto Enhance may help....it may not.

Have some fun....Experiment!

Regards.
MrTom.

Hybrus

Magic wand tool. Yes, MrToms was right . . you can play around with that . . but don't forget to use other tools to figure them out . . when I discover other tool I occasionally using the magic wand tool. the best selection too was the Pen tool. Pen tool was a very powerful tool. it was hard to use at first, it is hard to understand. maybe you must get well known to the other tools before using the other tools. the best learning Photoshop is to watch and read tutorials. Don't forget to add "basic" when you're searching for photoshop tutorial. there are basic, advance, professional tutorials.

PhotoBarney

Hi hybrid, the question was originally about Quick Select.
What's the difference between Quick Select and Magic Wand

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Steve There's some confusion by hybridmaddness on which tool is being discussed.

Quick question to PhotoBarney, what version of Ps are you using because the Quick selection tool does not have a "pixel size".

This is the Quick Selection Tool and it's tool options bar.

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 9.44.27 AM copy.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 9.45.53 AM.png

Last edited:

Hybrus

aaw. sorry barney . . I was confused. magic wand just 1 click to select 1 specific color depending on your settings. as you can see quick selection tool need to be grab to select area. actually the last time I used quick select It was hard to use as you cannot control the behavior of it. but you can master it if you wan't too.

Last edited:

PhotoBarney

No problem at all hybrid madness and iamsam I understood what MrTom said about the brush.
Thanks Steve I'll start a new post