What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop's Magic Wand Tool or Quick Select Tool

PhotoBarney

Hi, what's better when trying to make a selection in Photoshop, Magic Wand or Quick Select.
MrTom gave me some help with Quick Select but I was wondering what the difference was.
Does one do a better job at somethings than the other?
Thanks

MrToM

Guru
One isn't necessarily 'better' than the other, they both do an excellent job, just in different ways.

Think of it like trying to paint a ship with a toothbrush, or brush your teeth with a yard brush. Both are brushes, both do an excellent job, but only in the right circumstances.

Both of the tools mentioned have options which can help 'fine-tune' the result but as they are totally different tools the options are also totally different....and work in a totally different way.

If you need to create a marquee of the type these tools are designed to do then try one, if it works then great! If not, try the other or try both of them! (You can always save a 'selection' and add to it.)

Making marquees is very image dependent, just use the tool that gives you the best result for the job in hand.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As MrTom stated, one is not always better than the other.

For me, the primary difference in dictating which tool to use is the image itself. If the image contains consistent colors that are mostly connected, then I would choose the Magic Wand Tool. If the image has many different colors and varying tones, the Quick Selection tool seems to work better. Both are adjustable and require a little practice in order to get the best results.

For good measure and to offer help to those of you who may not have seen PhotoBarney's previous thread, here's a link : https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...otoshop-quick-selection-tool-help-please.html

TonyCooper

Not really an answer to the question, but anytime I use either tool (and I use both)
I make sure the History Brush is operational. I've never quite figured out why it is
operational sometimes, and sometimes not, so I check.

With either the Magic Wand or the Quick Select Brush, some bit of something that
shouldn't be deleted usually is. With the History Brush, this can be painted back in.