What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Photoshop to help with removing light leak on image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle75

I have a number of images that have a light leak from the right hand side of the image across the bride's arm which I have tried to repair but everything I have tried just looks wrong. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• _MG_1431 2.jpg
    _MG_1431 2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Danielle75

Sorry I am just in the middle of a batch edit.
Was trying to do this while it was running as I can't get into photoshop whilst this is running.

Here we are.....is this better???

Last edited by a moderator:

hawkeye

Guru
Add a new layer. Use a large soft low opacity- low flow brush. Sample as needed and add noise to match. Mask as necessary. This took less than 30 seconds.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26

Danielle75

Thank you so much......I am self taught with Photoshop so I only have limited knowledge.....so you will have to pardon my next question is how do you add noise to match?

Danielle75

I'm still not having any luck. I cannot get the same look......and I don't even know how to get the transparent layer next to layer 1...see I told you I have limited knowledge....

BlueInGreen

Hi Danielle, the icon next to the layer icon is a layer mask (any Photoshop user's best friend!). As Hawkeye said, what you need is a layer above the original photo which you paint colors with a soft brush to match the arm. This will get rid of the light leak on the arm. Then you'll need to add noise to this paint layer to make it slightly more believable. I added a layer mask to the paint layer and added noise to that to break it up a little (filter > noise > add noise).

The diagram shows the shortcut to create a layer mask on a selected layer.

Hope this helps.

layer_mask_example.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Here's another tip for adding noise, which will make the skin look more realistic and match the rest of the person's arm.

1. Once you've painted the skin tones the way Hawkeye suggests, create a new layer above it.
2. Over the same area that you painted the new skin, paint on this new layer with 50% Gray. (You can create a selection with the Lasso tool and then click Edit>Fill>50% Gray. The selection doesn't have to be perfect.)
3. On this new layer with 50% Gray, change the layer blend mode to Overlay. The gray disappears and it looks like you've accomplished nothing, but in fact you've created a base of pixels on its own layer that you can now add noise to.
4. Go to Filter>Noise>Add Noise. The amount of noise (percentage) depends on the size of the photo and the grainy-ness of the texture you're trying to match. Your photo is fairly large, so try somewhere between 5% and 10%, and be sure to check the box that says monochromatic. At first, the noise should look like it's somewhat too much... as if the person was at the beach and leaned in the sand with a wet arm.
5. Now, give the noise a slight Gaussian blur. You can experiment with how much, but perhaps 1 pixel will do, just to break up the sharp edges. It's a bit of trial and error.
6. Once you've blurred the noise, now reduce the opacity of the noise layer. Start by reducing it by 50% and then see if you think that's too much or not enough, and adjust it further from there. Keep playing with the amount of blur and opacity until the resulting skin texture closely matches the rest of the person's arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.