What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying Blend Modes to the Brush Tool

Rich54

Guru
Blend modes are normally applied to layers, but they can also be applied directly to the brush tool. I’m not sure that I intuitively understand what it means to apply a blend mode to the brush. For example, on a new layer, I can set the layer to Normal and the brush to Multiply, or I can do the reverse… set the layer to Multiply and the brush to Normal. Is there any difference between these?

To make things even more complicated, I could, for example, set the brush to Multiply and the layer to Soft Light. I have no idea what that would do or why I would ever want to, but the combinations seem endless.

Does anyone have a set of guidelines, or maybe some typical situations, for when you would apply a blend mode to the brush rather than to the layer? Or when you would ever apply a blend mode to both the brush and the layer simultaneously?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Sam, thanks for the YouTube link. I'm blocked from viewing YouTube on this computer, so I'll need to wait until I get home tonight to watch it.

Gedstar... I have already read (several times) the link you provided and it's a very thorough explanation of what the blend modes do, but I did not see any discussion in that article about when or why you would apply the blend mode to the brush rather than the layer.

Rich54

Guru
Sam, the YouTube links you provided were very helpful. I guess the short answer to my question is that for photo retouching one would generally use layer blend modes. But if you are creating art from scratch, then the brush blend modes can provide a lot of interesting effects, all on one layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sam, the YouTube links you provided were very helpful. I guess the short answer to my question is that for photo retouching one would generally use layer blend modes. But if you are creating art from scratch, then the brush blend modes can provide a lot of interesting effects, all on one layer.
Yes, that's the way I see it as well. I rarely use the Brushes painting modes even when I'm painting. It's nice to know that they are an option if needed. Great question, thanks!

mixminer

According to my tests, they appear to be the same.

Take a look at this video and maybe it will helparrow-10x10.png explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PtDON05znw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgxAe0eKII

Sorry i know this is a old forum. Thanks for the videos. there is still one issue however. The brush blending only works on one layer.
for example, when using the multiply brush blending preset, it only works for the layer it is on, and not layers under it... this is really frustrating. is there any way to turn this off?
thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
........when using the multiply brush blending preset, it only works for the layer it is on, and not layers under it... this is really frustrating. is there any way to turn this off?
thanks
No, it will only effect the brush work created by that preset on that layer. If you want a layer to interact with other layers, set your brushes blending mode to normal and use the layer blending modes instead.

As an example, the stroke on the left is the Brush Tool set to Hard light blending mode.
The stroke on the right is the Brush Tool set to normal blending mode (with the same color), with the layers blending mode set to Hard Light.
Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 8.41.19 AM.png

Hope that answers your question.

mixminer

No, it will only effect the brush work created by that preset on that layer. If you want a layer to interact with other layers, set your brushes blending mode to normal and use the layer blending modes instead.

As an example, the stroke on the left is the Brush Tool set to Hard light blending mode.
The stroke on the right is the Brush Tool set to normal blending mode (with the same color), with the layers blending mode set to Hard Light.
View attachment 59844

Hope that answers your question.

Thank you for your quick response.

This makes it incredibly difficult to work with. I like to be able to work with all my layers at once. I did hear that it is possible.
http ://forums.adobe.com/thread/1641485

If it's not possible perhaps you might know how to make my work process easier. If I have multiple layers with blending modes selected, then merge them, all the blending effects go away. I would at least like to have it look the same as it used to with blended effects, even if it turns into a normal layer.

Is there a way to merge multiple blended layers and have it look the same?

Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If it's not possible perhaps you might know how to make my work process easier. If I have multiple layers with blending modes selected, then merge them, all the blending effects go away. I would at least like to have it look the same as it used to with blended effects, even if it turns into a normal layer.

Is there a way to merge multiple blended layers and have it look the same?

Thanks.

Yes, select all the layers with different blending modes, right click, and choose "convert to smart object".

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I need to also add, if there are any other underlying layers, like a white background, that effect the layers with different blending modes, a copy of those layers will also need to be added to the smart object.