What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

window masking for Real Estate Photo

RuidosoBill

I have been reworking my real estate photography technique. I am to the point I use a 3 shot 1 stop hdr exposure, I then shoot proper room exposure with a large 650 watt sec nicefoto flash to eliminate all shadows but I am still not happy with the windows. We have lots of mountain view where I live and not seeing the view is a big problem. I was watching some youtube videos and found this video and whatever I do my magic wand tool in cs6 does not seem to work like his nor does ctrl d or delete work like his.The magic wand does not select to the edges like his, I have played with the tolerance to no avail. I have a lot of squiggly remnants looking mess withing the selected area, not clean to the edge. My control d after I make the selection also does nothing, same as delete. Sorry for the dumb questions PS Noob but this is the place I get the good answers. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The tool will act differently on each image, however this seems like you may need try resetting the tool.

To reset a tool.
Go to the TOOL PRESET PICKER located in the top left had corner of the TOOL OPTIONS BAR.
Right click and choose RESET TOOL.
or
Click on the down arrow and a window will open.
On the top right hand side of that widow will be a gear icon…click on this and choose RESET TOOL.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It would also help if you upload one of the images your working with. At the very least post some screen shots of what the tool is doing, or not doing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After some experimenting, and without any feedback from you, I suspect that you are trying to employ the Magic wand tool on a diversely colored area rather than one that is more devoid of color as in the video. If so, you should be using the Quick Selection Tool.

Color = Quick Selection Tool.
Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 12.56.48 PM.png

If you try to use the Magic Wand Tool on the image above, it will look more like this...
Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 1.02.02 PM.png

No color = Magic Wand Tool
Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 12.57.00 PM.png

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I thank you for the clarifications, my big issue is speed, not a lot of $ made on these shoots so speed is very important. I am always looking to make my workflow the fastest I can without sacrificing quality.

MikeMc

McGuru
I thank you for the clarifications, my big issue is speed, not a lot of $ made on these shoots so speed is very important. I am always looking to make my workflow the fastest I can without sacrificing quality.

Bill....until you have all the elements figured out, SLOW DOWN.....just like racing, sometimes going slower does speed up the end result .

Ruidoso Bill

Thanks Mike, I do a lot of my post in Lightroom and usually just go to photoshop when I have a real challenge like masking the dancer crowns everyone here so graciously helped me with. and now the windows situation. I import and use develop settings in lightroom, I syncronize the bracketed shots and do my lens corrections and white balance adjustments, then it is export time and into photomatix when I just use the fusion/natural mode. I had tried the Nik HDR and Photoshop HDR but actually like the photomatix the best.

The more I use PS the better I get but there is so much there to learn, I read this forum and use Youtube tutorials to learn. There is one particular photog on youtube name Mike Kelly, he is the master of real estate photography. He blends so many shots its unbelievable, check his work if you get a chance. He is selling a course I can't afford but his work is second to none.

As always thanks to all here on the Photoshop Gurus forum, you folks are the best!

PS; I was also a terrible racer.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
The more I use PS the better I get but there is so much there to learn, I read this forum and use Youtube tutorials to learn. There is one particular photog on youtube name Mike Kelly, he is the master of real estate photography. He blends so many shots its unbelievable, check his work if you get a chance. He is selling a course I can't afford but his work is second to none.

And KEEP practicing, and you DO get better...quickly as repetition helps build skill and speed. Many times just KNOWING what you need to do works wonders. I will tell you masking is a major need in PS...the better your masks are, the more elements in a scene can be tweaked. Our resident teacher Tom Mann and I will always say that its easier to START with DETAIL than to add in post processing....Yeah, its all about the light !:yourock::cool2: