What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New layer vs. layer copy

rtcary

I have some questions about a new layer vs. a layer copy. Let's say I am retouching a head shot. First I copy the Background layer (Ctrl-J) and clear up blemishes with the Spot healing brush. Next I want to soften some skin shine with the Patch tool and I want that on it's own layer. As I have tried various ways of doing this, it appears that I have copy either the Blemish layer or the Background. If I copy the Background layer, the the stacking order is critical: it has to be below the Blemish layer for the blemish fix to show. Copying the Blemish layer, then the Blemish fix is part of the Shine layer which defeats the purpose of a separate layer. New layer does not work for using the Patch tool, or I may be doing some completely wrong.

Then add another skin fix like soften the skin (Gaussian blur) and I'm really tied up with stacking order, etc.

Can someone help me with the correct order/procedure for creating layers that would be used like above.

Mixed up...

Todd

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

ANY WORK done with the Spot Healing Brush Tool, Healing Brush Tool, Patch Tool, Content Aware Move Tool, and the Clone Stamp Tool should be done on a new blank layer and not on a copy of the original subject image.

All tools should be set to 'sample all layers' or 'current layer or below'.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.47.28 AM.png

When you need to apply the changes made in the working layer to the subject layer so you can use another technique, highlight/select both the image (copy) and the working layer, hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the layers then Cmd/Cntrl + E to merge them OR Alt/Option + Cmd/Cntrl + E to stamp (merge) selected/highlighted layers. Then turn off the other layers and save them in case you need to come back to them later.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 1.54.36 AM.png

Last edited:

rtcary

I have a follow up question: let's say that I wanted to apply some blur to the merged layer. Would I do it directly to the merged layer or a copy of the merged layer?

Thank you,

Todd

hawkeye

Guru
In the interest of non-destructive editing. If you want to apply blur, convert the layer to a smart object first.
With a smart filter you have the option of altering the amount of blur, changing the blending mode, masking it, or turning it off completely whenever you wish.

Rich54

Guru
If you only need to do minor blurring (i.e., the pixel strength of the blur is relatively small), the Blur tool has a checkbox where you can select Sample All Layers, which allows you to apply a blur on its own blank layer. But the Gaussian Blur and other blur filters do not have this and you need to do what Hawkeye has explained.