What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most accurate color selection

Ninanoki

hello.i'm looking for the most accurate color selection method in photoshop for L,a,b color mode. what i want to achieve is to know the values for L,a and b that would let me enter those values to excel file which will tell me which shade is the closest. so those shaders values are the most important. thebestcpu said:
if you use a PS tool that uses the tolerance option, it has inherent limitations as such a tool selects on an RGB math equation that do not exactly reflect what you see with you eyes (e.g. it is color data based not luminosity based. That means the blue component of RGB in selecting an area gets too much weight.

so which tool works well on Lab color mode?
how would you get the Lab values from those shaders to be accurate? the tooth neck part is the most intense color because of thickness while the edge is the most transparent.
1) should i wand select the whole shader (without white blow out spots) and filter -> average?
2) should i pick the color from 1/2 or 1/3 height? maybe i should draw a horizontal line and select 1 point for each shader in the middle of it's long axis?
look at D3 and D4 how short color range it is.
View attachment 55717
this photo should be taken with gray card to set the white balance correctly.