What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can this be done? Is it even possible?

Jlevib

Hi,
I'm wondering if this is possible:
The right side is what I'm trying to achieve.
It's a simple enough effect, but the problem is that I'm curious if it can be some sort of dynamic effect in that I can change the "A" text to "B" and still have the outline cut out of the "M" (Or whatever if I need to change the "M" text to "Q" or something).
Basically I need the "A" and "M" to be able to change while the stroke of whatever the "A" letter (or shape) is will always cut out whatever shape, text, or image is placed behind it.
Is this possible without having to manually cut it out of the back image every time?

The illusion can easily be created by having a white background and using a white stroke on the "A" (that creates the effect I'm wanting)..
However I need them to be transparent and easily editable so they can be saved as transparent images for multiple uses quickly and easily.
(I apologize if I didn't get this across very clearly)
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 8.35.21 PM.png

Yeah...it can be done....sort of.

1. Create two text layers....one for each character.
2. Duplicate the top one and turn it off.
3. Convert the original to a smart object.
4. Edit the smart object to add your 'stroke'....(you'll need to make the canvas bigger to accommodate an 'outside' stroke.)
5. Close the smart object or save it......doesn't matter which.
6. Double click this smart object to bring up the blending options.
7. Set the 'Fill' to zero.
8. Set 'Knockout' to 'Shallow'.
9. Turn the Top layer back on.

This 'sort of' works, the only thing is you'll need to edit both the 'Smart object' and the top layer but I don't see that as much of a big deal as its only one character....and you could even copy and paste that if you don't have the energy to type it twice.

Regards.
MrToM.

Now you did it to me MrToM!!!!

I did it a bit different though!

Two layers

Stroke the A layer using the layer style.
Convert it to a Smart Object.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.39.56 PM.png

Make a selection of the A...
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.41.10 PM.png

Select/Highlight the M layer.
Add a "hide selection' layer mask to the M layer (Alt/Option + click the add layer mask icon)
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.43.48 PM.png

Now double click the A layer (smart object) to edit.
Click on the stroke eye to turn off the stroke, then save.
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.46.25 PM.png

To edit the letter, Double click the A layer (smart object), turn the stroke back on and edit the letter to say a B, then save.
Right click the layer mask and select delete the layer mask.
Then repeat the above process.

Last edited:
Now you did it to me MrToM!!!!

I did it a bit different though!

Sorry mate....thought you'd be tucked up in bed with a mug of warm milk by now.

I did mine the more complex way just so that editing the text knocks out the underlying character automatically when you edit the smart object.....you just then change the top one to match and job done.

Couldn't find a way to do it with just one character so I cheated.

Regards.
MrToM.

Y'all are awesome!! :) It works beautifully! The only problem is the sample I gave ("A" & "M") were just small examples.
The real thing will be two larger words that will be part of a logo I plan to distribute so people can use it with whatever words they wish (one word overlapping the other with a nice cut out space separating the two).

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Sorry mate....thought you'd be tucked up in bed with a mug of warm milk by now.

I did mine the more complex way just so that editing the text knocks out the underlying character automatically when you edit the smart object.....you just then change the top one to match and job done.

Couldn't find a way to do it with just one character so I cheated.

Regards.
MrToM.
Yeah, your way is much more effective when editing.

...The only problem is the sample I gave ("A" & "M") were just small examples...
Well, we can only work with what we're given but still, it shouldn't be a problem...both techniques will work either way.

Regards.
MrToM.

Hi Jlevib

Here is one more way that can be put in an Action
- Two Text Layers, Text to be cut on bottom Layer with preserved Text on Top Layer with that top Layer Selected
- Add Layer Style Stroke options Outside, Blend Normal, Size as desired
- Create Layers from this Layer Style (Text will now be Top Layer with middle Layer will be the Text and stroke all black surrounded by Transparency. Select this middle Layer
- Select > Load Selection and load the transparency mask with Invert Option for this Layer; Then delete this Layer
- Apply the Selection as Layer Mask to the Bottom Layer

That should do it.

I plan to distribute so people can use it with whatever words they wish (one word overlapping the other with a nice cut out space separating the two).

I think that this would work much better as an action. Less explanation for potential users. Just tpe out the text in the proper layers and run the action, done.