What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gautamz07

Power User
Hey guys , i have come across a really simplistic yet unusual gradient on the web . picture below :

ripple_gradient.jpg

if you have a closer look , you'll see the gradient has some kind of a rippple effect , it not just a plain gradient . how do i make such a gradient in psd ?

you will see the ripple effect if you look closely . also you can see the banner here too.

Thank you.

Gautam.

MrToM

Guru
I think you are seeing things gautamz07!

There is no 'ripple' in the gradient....its just a normal 'Radial' gradient....check out the histogram...

gradient_ripple_MT_01.png

If you check out the source code you'll see its CSS generated as a Radial Gradient...

gradient_ripple_MT_02.png

What you may be confusing this with is 'Banding' which in this case is nothing relating to the image as its CSS generated but maybe the bitdepth of your monitor or browser?

I can honestly say the background is fine.....CSS generated backgrounds don't suffer from 'compression' or 'banding' per-se but if your monitor or browser is not showing 8bits per channel then you'll get this effect.

Oh, and FWIW, its usually something people want to remove....not replicate is PS...LOL.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
One other thing to consider as well is the size at which you view the web-page.....a smooth gradient over 1000px will look considerably more 'banded' when scaled down to say 50px...you can replicate this in PS by creating a full width gradient in a wide document...say 2000px. Then Zoom out so the workspace is smaller and watch how the gradient 'bands' as the amount of space to display that gradient diminishes......if it gets down to 2px, (of your monitor), you'll only see the start and end colours....1px each.

Last edited:

gautamz07

Power User
MrToM , Thanks , i did't know that it was an side effect . Actually , i taught it was something that people like replicating :D