What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop or desktop?

Mansson

Hej, I'm about to invest in a new computer. It's leaning towards a laptop this time but I am a bit worried it could affect the ergonomics (i.e. the fact that it is not possible to adjust the screen vs the keyboard). I use a wacom board.
Anyone with experience of using both or know the pro's and con's of these two?
Thanks!
/Mansson

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have used both. I would opt for the desktop but as long as you have a need for a laptop, then it certainly will do the job. Other than the obvious ergonomic limitations you mentioned, laptops can easily work with tablets. You will quickly get used to it.

Laptops do have a few limitations. Such as initial cost, processors, ergonomics, upgrading some components, and high cost of repair. They're very portable and easy to use. You can always add an external monitor if you like.

MrToM

Guru
I used a laptop for years, purely because it was newer than my PC and a lot higher spec.

To get round the 'ergonomics' problem I used an external LCD monitor, cheap USB keyboard and a Wacom tablet......no problems at all. Nearly all laptops have an ext mon port and USB's go without say.

The only difference then was the capabilities of the GPU compared to a desktop.....thats the only real downside to a laptop although mobile GPU specs have certainly improved in recent years.

The only thing my PS version wouldn't run was the 3D stuff but I didn't use PS for 3D anyway. The professional 3D application that I did use though had no trouble on the laptop at all....ran sweet as a nut.

I would say that if you need the portability then a Laptop with ext mon, cheap USB keyboard and a Wacom is your best bet, otherwise you just can't beat the solid reliability, performance and expandability of a desktop.

Regards.
MrToM.

Mansson

Thank you both. I'm not very mobile so perhaps it's best to stay with a desktop solution.

Paul

Former Member
Desk top for me, can't drive while blending layers you see:mrgreen: