What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If allowed.. Help needed

patrick67

Sorry admins if this isnt allowed but ive been struggling on this for a while.
Im need help turning this (image in post below) image into a stencil type form.
Ive tried lots of different guides but i cant get the image to look "realistic":confused:.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated, im looking for the image backround to be white and the stencil part green.
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
Could you clarify the question please?

A 'Stencil Type Form' is not a term I'm familiar with so to me it could literally mean anything.

What are you calling the 'Background'...?

What is it that needs to be green?

Oh, and can you post your images using the 'Insert Image' icon rather than linking to them...thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.

patrick67

Could you clarify the question please?

A 'Stencil Type Form' is not a term I'm familiar with so to me it could literally mean anything.

What are you calling the 'Background'...?

What is it that needs to be green?

Oh, and can you post your images using the 'Insert Image' icon rather than linking to them...thanks.

Regards.
MrToM.

jinky-24.jpg
Sorry should have explained this a bit better, ive been trying to get the image to a stencil so it is easy to print off and paint over.
Im looking for only the person to be a green stencil on a white backround, everything else can be cut.
any help appreciated.;)

MrToM

Guru
Ah....right....I see.....I think.

Ok, no worries, try this...

1. Duplicate your image layer.
2. Turn OFF the original.
3. Add a 'Layer Mask' to the duplicate.
4. Paint in BLACK on the MASK what you want to be WHITE....it'll turn 'checked' as it'll be transparent for now.
5. Add a layer BELOW the duplicate and fill with WHITE.
6. Add a layer ABOVE the duplicate and fill with GREEN.
7. Convert the 'GREEN' layer to a clipping mask. (Right click, choose 'clipping mask'.)

Your layers should be like this...

patrick_MT_01.png

If you need that in more detail just ask.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

patrick67

Sorry MrTom , i think its my explaining that is the problem.
bush_stencil.0.jpg
Its something along the lines of this im attempting only difference is the colours and bush:rolleyes:

Untitled-1.jpgThis was the closest i got. Everywhere i looked it told me to use Image > Adjustments > Threshold. But still no luck.

MrToM

Guru
Ok then....

1. Duplicate the image layer.
2. Add a 'Posterize' layer adjustment.
3. Adjust to around 10 levels...see how it looks.
4. Add a 'Threshold' layer adjustment.
5. Adjust to around 140-ish...see how it looks.
6. Stamp the layer.....Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E
7. Add 'Gaussian Blur' @ around 2 to 3 pixels....see how it looks.
8. Add another 'Threshold' layer adjustment.
9. Adjust again till it looks better....
10. Stamp....
11. Blur...
12. Threshold...
Stop when it looks good.....and with a 'Stamped' layer at the top of the stack.

A. Add a new layer to the top of the stack....keep it selected.
B. Switch to your 'Channels' panel.
C. Ctrl + Click the RGB channel THUMBNAIL to load it as a marquee.
D. Switch back to the layers panel.
E. Fill with GREEN.
F. Deselect.

This is one of those instances where experimenting with different adjustment values will give you the best results.....you'll just have to play around with those until you are happy.

See how you get on with that.:thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...Nicely done, MrToM. POSTERIZE is always my go-to for these kinds of effects...
Thank-you.

To be honest though this wouldn't have been my choice of technique but as the OP had already started to follow a tutorial using the above its seemed appropriate to stay with that technique to save any further confusion.

I wouldn't actually use 'Posterize' but instead would just add a 'Hue / Sat' layer to desat the image, an 'Exposure' adj layer to bring out the contrast. Then stamp it, blur it and add a 'Threshold' adj layer.

patrick_MT_05.png

This tends to give a more 'filled in' result which can then be coloured however you choose.

patrick_MT_04.png

Regards.
MrToM.