What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to optimize a png 24 image

gautamz07

Power User
Hey guys i have the following image , its a png 24

live-smart.png

how do i reduce its size as its around 2.7MB as of now , which is gigantic for the web , i really don't want to loose much quality , but how do i reduce the sze , PSD does't seem to have much options for reducing size of a png-24.

Thank you.
gautam.

colleague

Guru
try to make it a jpg
if you know that the background would be 1 color only
you could merge that background with the png image

MrToM

Guru
...which is gigantic for the web...
Why?

It really depends on what the image is going to be used for.

PNG is already a compressed format, as is jpeg, (although not strictly a file format), gif, bmp...etc etc.

The fact that the image is not a 'raw' file, and I'll stick my neck out here and guess that you didn't draw this yourself so its not in a PSD format either, means that its already been compressed and saved as small as possible.

If you intend to have this available for download then just make a smaller PNG version which links to the downloadable fullsize file....this can be whatever size fits best on the site....if its on a site.

I doubt you'll have this displayed in full on a web page as its way too big for the majority of people to view....only those with monitors bigger than 2000 x 1057 will be able to view it in its entirety.

Jpeg compression is very good at reducing filesize but of course at a cost....you lose colour information and it doesn't support transparency.
So, if you need to keep all the colour information for use in another application then Jpeg isn't ideal.

Without knowing what the intended purpose is for the image its difficult to say what to suggest.

Regards.
MrToM.

gautamz07

Power User
Mr Tom , Thank you ... you always give me so much insightful information LOL .

Btw , the only reason i wanted to compress this image is because it was reducing my page speed , eg , before i reduced the image size , my website page speed was scoring about 30/100 on google pagespeed , but after i compress this image i get 82/100 ... yeeeeey ! :D

see the screen shot below :

pagespeed.jpg

btw , i switced from PNG 24 to Jpg .

Thank you colleague and MrTom.