What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filter-Stylize. Only 3 effects available.

PegoMan

First of all, I'm using Mac Yosemite 10.10.4 and CS5 Extended.

I've trying to learn several filter effects and when I try and use Filter-Stylize all it will let me open is Emboss, Fit Edges and Solarize. Can't use any of the other options. I've tried several different images, looked at Preferences and I'd be pulling my hair out, if I had any!
Here is my screen shot of the menu:
Filter-Stylize copy.jpg

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I will be very appreciative.

John

MrToM

Guru
Can you post a screen shot of your layers panel too?

The posted image would make more sense if we have the 'whole' picture....preferably of the whole UI....without obscuring anything.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
It looks like you are probably in 16 bits per channel (bpc) mode. Only a fraction of PS's filter efx work at that bit depth. Switch to 8 bpc, take two aspirin and call if the symptoms don't disappear, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

PegoMan

Thanks Tom. I checked to make sure the image was 8 bits, but I do not know where to switch to the 8 bits per channel mode. As I mentioned to MRToM, excuse if me if this is very elementary.

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 1.18.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 1.18.56 PM.png
    323 KB · Views: 1

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Pego - It's under: Image / Mode, then select: "8 bits per channel"

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Nothing's too elementary. We've all been stuck like this!

PegoMan

Here's the Menu drop-down. Is that what you mean? Not sure what the "whole UI" signifies.

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 1.18.56 PM.png

John

MrToM

Guru
...Here's the Menu drop-down. Is that what you mean? Not sure what the "whole UI" signifies...
Its irrelevant now as I think Mr Mann has beaten me to it and hit the nail on the head already...but...

From your first screen shot we can see two open documents.....one is obviously 16bit as we can see the 'Tab' which shows us this information.

(Your last screen shot shows us clearly that it is indeed the 'active' document AND 16bit...AND that it doesn't have a colour profile assigned to it AND that you haven't saved it AND that you are zoomed in to 16.7%.....you see?....all from just the 'Tab'.)

The second documents' 'Tab' is obscured by the menu so it too could be 16bit but there is no guarantee.....it could be 8bit.

The 'Whole UI' is the whole Photoshop interface.....the user interface....or UI. Thats everything you see when you use Photoshop.....the frame, the panels, the workspace....everything.

Your problem could have been having a 'mask' selected, but not being able to 'see' your layers panel there is no way to tell from the 'cropped' images you provided.

A screen shot of the UI without anything, (such as menus and dialog windows), can tell us more about your situation than you could describe in type.....all in one single screen shot.

We don't need to see menus, we know what's in them as they are the same for everyone, and if you say something is 'greyed out' then we'll believe you....no need to prove it.

Anyway, like I said, I think you have your answer now so this is just for future reference....but lets hope you don't need it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
MrToM brought up excellent points with respect to the best methodology of trying to figure out a Photoshop problem. Normally, I would have done exactly the same as him, except that in this case, I immediately recognized the pattern of grayed out menu items, and didn't really need confirmation by seeing the bpc number in the tab.

Tom M

PegoMan

Thanks to both of two. Well, now I've learned a lot about 8, 16 and 32 bit mode. It appears that I need to set it to 8 bit mode when I open an image. It defaults to 16 bit unless I change it. That seemed to correct the problem!! I would be lost without people like you two sharing your knowledge with the less learned such as myself.

Also MrToM here is a screen shot of my UI. I believe I have everything there. If you see anything that I'm doing that's really "nasty" let me know. I really appreciate the help from you both!

John

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 3.49.07 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
That's the ticket! :thumbsup:

I don't see anything 'nasty' in your UI but may I suggest that you change the 'Status Bar' at the lower left of the workspace?

status_bar_MT_01.jpg

If you don't have the 'INFO' panel open, which can display a multitude of useful stuff, then changing the 'Status Bar' to something more useful than the default is the next best thing...ideally you would have the 'INFO' panel open as well but if for some reason it's not then having the 'Status Bar' to refer to is very useful....as long as it displays useful info of course.

One other thing too.....if you find you need to apply filters to a 16bit image but absolutely cannot change the bit depth then:

1. Convert the layer, (or group of layers), into a smart object.
2. Change the Image 'Mode' to 8bit and apply the filter to the Smart Object.

Any 16bit images INSIDE that Smart Object will remain @16bit, allowing you to continue editing them as normal in 16bit but with the added 8bit filter.

Any effects of that filter will be updated once the Smart Object PSB file is saved or closed after editing.

Regards.
MrToM.

PegoMan

Thanks much! I changed the 'Status Bar' and will work on the changing layer(s) to a smart object tomorrow. That sounds super! You know, I'm retired and still don't have enough time learn all the things I want to!!

Tnx again!