What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Photoshop CC 30 day trial

pslane

Hello,
I am trying out the CC Photoshop for 30 days free. I might and I might not buy the 9.99 plan.
Anyway, here's the problem. I have several images open and the one I was working on has disappeared.. Where did it go? Also, when I minimize an image, how do I maximize it again? I don't see the tabs for them at the bottom. This is weird. :eek:

MrToM

Guru
If you have several documents open, and it sounds like you do, then check out just to the right of the last 'tab'....you should see a double arrow head.....like sergeant stripes.

tab_dropdown_MT_02.png

Click that and you'll get a list of all the open documents...click on the one you want to make active.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

pslane

Nothing looks familiar on your screen shot and I don't see the double arrows. : ( Is there a way to open an image without it opening on top of another one? Maybe a wider angle of the screenshot would help me see where you are. ? ~Thanks

MrToM

Guru
It would make more sense for you to post a screen shot of your whole UI at the point where the problem arises.

I can only assume that from your last statement that you do not use 'Tabbed' documents but if that's the case then documents disappearing is a little more serious than just 'tabs' being shifted.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Along with what MrToM said

There's this
View attachment 57005

And you can use the Ctrl + Tab keys to cycle through open images, that's assuming your on Windows

Last edited:

pslane

Okay I got a stack of images now and I do see the arrow. :thumbsup: Now about minimizing: Is the only way to maximize going down to the PS box at the very bottom of my screen? That's the only way I see, tell me if there is another way. I am used to a minimize tab at the bottom. My favorite way to work is using the "float all" tab.

Thanks a bunch. I guess I'll get used to this "stacking".

Attachments

• pscc1.jpg
    pscc1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 14
  • pscc2.jpg
    pscc2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 14

MrToM

Guru
Before going further is there a specific reason why you use floating windows as opposed to tabbed documents?

The reason I ask is that ever since the 'Tabbed' documents feature became available I personally have not had the need to display more than one document at a time......and to be honest almost every screen shot I've seen here on PSG seems to indicate that 'Tabbed' documents is the preferred method of working.....for everyone!

Is there something you think you cannot do with 'Tabbed' documents or is it genuinely personal preference?

I'm not trying to make you change your workflow but just wondered if there was a specific task you do whereby 'Floating' windows is the only option.

I haven't seen the old style method of documents being minimised to the bottom of the workspace for years.....not even on old images on the net...but then I guess if I'm not looking for them I'll not see them.

If you need to temporarily 'view' a document 'windowed' you can always drag and drop the 'tab' into the workspace.....just like 'docking' panels, documents can be removed from being 'tabbed' to 'windowed' just by dragging them away from the tab bar.

Likewise, 'windowed' documents can be 'tabbed' by dragging up to the tab bar and dropping when the blue line appears.

Layers from documents can be 'dragged' to other documents in a similar fashion....using the 'move' tool a layer can be dragged to the 'tab' of another open document....when the target document is displayed the layer can be dropped into the workspace. Holding 'Shift' at the same time will center the image in the workspace.

To answer your question....finally, I assumed that minimised floating document windows still resided in the workspace, like they used to, but having tried it I see that indeed they do completely disappear....is this what you meant in your first post?

I'm not sure what you mean by...
going down to the PS box at the very bottom of my screen?
... I have no such 'PS box' anywhere at the bottom of my UI.

As far as I can tell the easiest way to restore minimised 'windows' is to select them from the PS icon in the Windows 7 Taskbar.....each 'document' acting as if it were a completely separate 'window' of PS...which I guess it is.

The only other way I can see is to select the document from the WINDOW menu...as in WINDOW > [ Document ]

Tabbed documents, believe it or not, is an improvement over windowed documents.....they have as much if not more functionality......maybe as you say its just a case of using them for a while to fully appreciate their benefits.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

pslane

I don't know, I've always felt more in control with a floating image. But I'll try tabbed and see what happens. What is the "more functionality" you get with tabbed documents?
I haven't seen the old style method of documents being minimized to the bottom of the workspace for years.....
.............. You are making me feel like a relic! lol
PS box---> Okay, I meant icon. :redface:

Attachments

• animated-gifs-women-15.gif
    animated-gifs-women-15.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 13
  • pscc3.jpg
    pscc3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 13

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The tabs are docked. You can always drag the tabs on and off the their docked position. You can then use the minimize button if you like.

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 11.12.34 AM.png

The double arrows mentioned by MrToM in post #2 only appear if the tabs are full across the width of the UI, otherwise it's hidden as there is no use for it.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...What is the "more functionality" you get with tabbed documents?...
Maybe 'functionality' wasn't the correct word.

Tabbed documents just seem easier to use. You have them all, to a degree, on hand instantly and unlike the 'old' style don't get hidden by other open documents.

You can rearrange them in the tab bar by simply dragging them to wherever you want and can drag them into the workspace should you want them in a 'windowed' format....and vise versa.

Tabbed documents also contain handy info within the tab itself....something a minimised 'window' never did....this is extremely useful when posting screen shots for problem solving.

You also get to view each open document in the largest workspace possible, rather than the limits of each individual 'window' and as gedstar pointed out cycling through each one is much quicker with the Ctrl + Tab shortcut combo.

Tabs were introduced in CS5 which was around 5 years ago and although that doesn't seem long there have been a further 6 versions since...5.1, 5.5, CS6, CC, CC 2014 and CC 2015....and as I said its been a while since I've seen a screen shot or a tutorial containing 'windowed' documents.....that's got to say something....right?

By all means if 'windowed' docs is your way of working then there is nothing wrong with that, but like any 'new' change to the UI you'll soon get used to 'tabbed' documents....very much like using a gfx tablet for the first time...odd at first but soon you wonder how you ever managed without it.

Sorry for making you feel old....but software development waits for no man...and us oldies just have to catch up as best we can.

Regards.
MrToM.

pslane

Okay, I've been working with a tabbed document tonight and I'm starting to like it. I usually do tutorials and keep my pages side by side and sometimes it helps if I can take the floating image away from the workspace.
Anyway this is all good stuff to know. I may have to pop in again while I'm learning the cloud. If I have too much fun, I guess I'll to open my pocket book.
Here's what I was working on. Thank again for helping. There is a space on the left for a calendar grid.

Attachments

• summer breeze copy.jpg
    summer breeze copy.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 4