What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zzzero

any way to retain the vectors of PSD smart objects for print?
I am not sure how to summarize my problem well into one sentence, I will simply describe my workflow and my goal

I draw the comics in AI, compose everything into square boxes of different sizes. Copy the AI vectors into a PSD template (4000x24000px) as smart object. Scale each object to fit a 4000x4000 frame (to fit six comics on each psd file) Other raster-based effects are added and the whole file is saved as PSD. This workflow works well for me to publish online, but the problem I have now is I am planning to publish the comics in print (commercial CMYK press). I plan to use Indesign for page layouts. And I have two main concerns:

1. Quality. Ideally I want to retain the vector (of the black lines) for print. But since I have imported the AI vectors into PSD (but retain them as smart objects), I don't know what type of output allows me to retain the vectors when I put them in ID. I am thinking doing one of the following:

a. Place each PSD file (without flattening) into ID and find a way to spread each file into 6 different frames on 6 different pages.
b. Flatten the PSD file and save as TIFF. I know I will lose the vectors but since I will be outputting as 600 dpi, double the 300 dpi the printing press needs, maybe it's not too bad. However I know that under the lupe there will be a difference.
c. Output each PSD into a format (but what format shall I use?) that allows me to retain the vector when brought into ID. I tried saving as Photoshop PDF but the vectors are gone. I have heard that smart objects are basically good at scaling up and down without losing resolution, but will still be turned into pixels once exported from PSD regardless of formats. Is this true?
d. Place the entire PSD directly into ID I have heard somewhere that once AI vectors are brought into PSD, any output to ID will turn all vectors into pixels. Is this true? Am I essentially dead on arrival due to my workflow?

2. Output workflow. I asked a related question just a few days before on how best to automate the output process from a 4000x24000 PSD file, since I was trying to break each PSD file into 6 segments to be put on each ID page. Eventually I found out that I can set up a PSD action that do the cycle of "crop>save as JPEG" six times. This seems like the best way. I did a trial and run the action on all my 60+ PSD files (to produce 360+ smaller segments). I have an ID script that let me automatically place all 360 images (one image on one page.) Alternatively, if I place the original PSD files into ID, I need to find a way to automate the process of spreading one single file into six different frames on six different pages and repeat the process 60+ times. The former seems much straight-forward. However, if the latter method is the only way that I can retain the vectors, I will have to explore how to do it.

Any pointers or advice on how I shall proceed (and/or do more research) is highly appreciated
combined-screen.jpg