What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAW file extensions show as jpeg

PegoMan

I can not get PS and Camera Raw to show my RAW file extensions correctly. All RAW files show everywhere as JPEG files. For this posting I took a few in RAW and the only place I can verify that is in the Apple Photos program. I've checked all the Prefs and don't see anything that I should change. I've checked my camera, a Nikon D300S, and can't find anything there that looks like it should be changed.

Using: Apple Yosemite 10.10.4
Photoshop CS5 Extended
Camera-Nikon D300S

Here is the Photos verification of the RAW file.
Illustration 1.jpg

Here is PS's Metadata page.
Illustration 2.jpg

Here's the Essentials page readout.
Illustration 3.jpg

This might be something very simple, as I'm not very skilled in PS, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
John

Tom Mann

Guru
Unfortunately, I'm not at my computer, I'm a PC guy, and I don't have a version of PS that old installed on any of my computers, but a couple of possibilities did occur to me:

I could be wrong, but if memory serves, CS5 came out roughly around the same time as the d300s. You should check to see if CS5 actually supports NEF files from the 300s. If it doesn't, you can run the NEFs from that camera through Adobe's free DNG converter program and have it output 16 bpc TIFFs which will be able to be read by older versions of PS.

The other possibility that occurred to me is that Lightroom, and other programs like Aperture, and possibly Bridge have an option to treat JPG / NEF pairs as a single file, not as two distinct files, e.g., http://www.lifeafterphotoshop.com/lightroom-raw-plus-jpeg-pairs/ . There may be a similar option somewhere in CS5 Bridge. I'm pretty sure that a couple of the other guys on this forum still have a working copy of CS5 installed, so maybe they could check out some of these possibilites.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - I presume you have only recently tried the combination of d300s NEFs with CS5 ... ie, it's not that you've done this successfully in the past and it stopped working recently, eh?

PegoMan

Thanks Tom for your response. According to the Adobe Camera Support page CS5 does support my camera. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/camera-raw.html

I updated Camera Raw to the latest version; 6.7.1 and still no change. The Photos program still shows that the file is NEF so I know that my camera is outputting the RAW file, but it doesn't show anywhere else. I also have LightRoom 5.7 and it does the same thing.

If I had any hair I'd put it out!

John

PegoMan

Hi Paul, and thanks for the link. I downloaded it and updated to CR 6.7.1 and still no luck. I'm going to check with a Nikon forum and see if it's the camera. It's still getting a NEF file to my Photos program, but not PS or LR.

John

MrToM

Guru
Ive tried desperately to replicate your problem but to no avail.

Using:-
PS: CS5 Extended
Bridge: 6.1.1.10 x64
ACR: 6.7.0.339

raw_filename_problem_MT_01.jpg

raw_filename_problem_MT_02.jpg

raw_filename_problem_MT_03.jpg

Even with an older version of ACR [than yours] it still works fine.

Your problem only seems to be with Adobe Bridge so as a last resort you could try 'resetting' it.

To do this, HOLD COMMAND + OPTION + SHIFT IMMEDIATELY AFTER launching Adobe Bridge.

No guarantees it will do anything but what have you got to lose?

Regards.
MrToM.

PegoMan

Thanks MrToM, I did a reset to original prefs, but no change. I have a question that might be very elementary, but I can't figure it out. Question: Why would the file size be 11 MB in the Photos program and 1.82 MB in the Adobe Bridge program? That sounds like my camera is not being supported in PS for NEF files, but Adobe says it is.

Here's the 11 MB file.

Illus2.jpg

Here's the 1.82 MB file. Same picture as above.

Illus 1.jpg

Does that make any sense?

John

MrToM

Guru
It kind of does yes.....possibly.

I've got a feeling that Bridge is only displaying the small thumbnail image embedded in the NEF RAW file.
All the info will of course relate to the true RAW file but the displayed image may just be the embedded thumbnail.

The thing is I can't for the life of me work out how or why it's doing this....if indeed that's what it is doing.

This would explain the vast file size difference....the small jpeg thumbnail obviously being much smaller than the true, RAW file but......????

I really don't know for sure.....resetting Bridge was a last ditched attempt at a fix but if that hasn't worked then I'm stumped.

I have no need to use Bridge so I'm not all that familiar with its options....maybe the above will jog someones memory who uses it on a more regular basis.

I'll keep thinking on it.....sorry it's not much help.

Regards.
MrToM.

PegoMan

Thanks so much! Maybe someone else will have an idea, but in the meantime I will keep trying different things.

John

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

The only other thing I can suggest at the moment is for you to make available an offending NEF file so I can see if it displays OK here.

At least then we would know if the problem was your system or the file itself.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Pego -

You may have already given the answer to the question I asked about whether this is a new problem (ie, in the past you could see both NEFs and JPGs) or an old problem, but I must have missed it. So, what's the history of this problem? To follow up on MrToM's suggestion, does your system work properly (these days) with any NEF, particularly, ones not from that d300s?

Tom M

PegoMan

I sure can! I will put one here , but I'm not sure how to. To upload I need a jpg, jpeg, PNG or GIF. I can save as any of these, but not as a NEF.
I can email the file also.

PegoMan

I can't remember for sure if this has always been this way or not. I just made sure that the image I uploaded to PS was a NEF file and didn't worry about the discrepancy. I realize that's not the proper way to do it, but I didn't have the expertise to try and make it right. Since I recently found this great forum I thought I'd try again.

The one thing I can say is that a few months ago I had to do a reinstall, but it all seemed to work fine. I have the original Adobe CS5 disk so I could reinstall in that's the only way to solve the problem. I would prefer not to since it's a pain.

John

PegoMan

I'm not sure Tom if other NEF would work or not. I have no other camera to produce a file. The D300S is it. I could probably have one emailed from someone who has another NIKON to try.

MrToM

Guru
I've sent you a PM with a link to upload your file.

Regards.
MrToM.

PegoMan

Thanks MrToM for your offer, but I think I found the problem. All along I've been downloading image files from my camera to either iPhoto or Photos, both MAC photo programs. When I do, they both download the pictures correctly as JPG or NEF, but when I drag to the desktop the NEF pictures change to .jpg. Then if I open in PS or Bridge they are loaded as .jpg files. Now when I download the photos directly to Bridge (Adobe Bridge CS5 - Photo Downloader) or PS they come thru with the correct extension and the proper size file. I can then open in Camera Raw and they work perfect!!

I'm probably a doofus for doing it like I have been, but I know better now. I won't give my age, but I'm a great example of; "You're never too old to learn".

Thanks to all you guys for your help and I apologize for taking your time when I probably should have done more experimenting.

John

Steve

Retired Administrator
Your problem only seems to be with Adobe Bridge so as a last resort you could try 'resetting' it.

To do this, HOLD COMMAND + OPTION + SHIFT IMMEDIATELY AFTER launching Adobe Bridge.

No guarantees it will do anything but what have you got to lose?

Regards.
MrToM.
@PegoMan, take MrTom's advice on this and try resetting your preferences file.

Oops, did't see PegoMan's previous post.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Thanks MrToM for your offer, but I think I found the problem...
You live and learn eh? :rofl:

Thanks for letting us know you've sorted it.

PS...your file opened just fine here.

Regards.
MrToM.