What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove stains from over stained old photographs

blasteralfred

Recently, I got a photograph scanned, which is an old b/w photograph. The photo is hay colored now, seems like it is 10+ years old. It was a portrait photograph, and somehow I manage to remove it's bg and applied a solid color. But the problem is with the cloth. First I planned to paint the area with a light solid color, and I found it awkward after finishing with it. I don't know what to do now, I am stuck. I hope if someone can help me by suggesting something / editing it for me. I am attaching a portion of the photograph.
Thank you so much for your help.

qq.jpg

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
To apply color isn't enough. There isn't much detail to work on and will require a lot of imagination to rebuild it. I can only surmise that the collar must have had a lace look to it.

And there seems to be a some kind of stamp chop mark on the right. You may have to clone out/rebuild that area.

Another option is to find similar looking era-clothing and to superimpose the person's face to it. But that depends on what you want to achieve here.

Just me talking.... maybe someone else here has a better suggestion for this?.....

blasteralfred

thank you, but I am a beginner. I will be thankful if you can edit my attached pic, with your knowledge and skill. Its a personal request. Thank you once again.

Desaturate the image.
1.jpg

Add gaussian blur.
2.jpg

Retouching with stamp tool.
qq chrisdesign.jpg

This is roughly the procedure based on your posted small image detail.

Ambrose54

hey i did some research for you this video might offer some help.

Mod Edit: Go ahead and embed the video rather than typing a spaced out url, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: