What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to keep Photo Filter adjustment layer active after merging layers

Jaimee Michell

I am trying to create a "instagram" type filter for a mobile device that will act as an overlay over pictures that people will upload of themselves. I have all of the layers set up perfectly, with a mask leaving a transparent part of the image for their selfie to fit in. The problem lies with the Photo Filter that I need to stay active. When I merge the layers and save the file, I lose this capability. I need the entire image to have a blue tint over it, including the selfie that the user will upload of themselves into the image I have created. I am completely stumped, which has never happened to me before.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?? Please help!

Thank you!

MrToM

Guru
Why are you merging the layers before saving the file?

Save the file as a PSD to preserve the layers and use Save For Web to save out to whatever format you need.

Whenever you want to re-use the file, open the PSD, edit, save, then output using SFW again.

There is no need to 'merge' anything before saving to an image file.

Regards.
MrToM.