What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plug-in's in Photoshop CC 2015

pslane

Hello,
I can't figure out how to add my plug-ins to this new version of Photoshop. I went to Preferences/Plug-ins like I usually do and I see no place to add plug-ins. Can I get some help with this, please? I found the Photoshop CC 2015 file folders and in the plug-in's folder, they are all there but not showing in my workspace plug-in drop down list

Thanks,
pslane

Do you really mean Plug-ins or do you mean extensions?

Plug-ins will need reinstalling for 2015 or 2015.0.1 either by manually copying it to the plugins folder in the installation path or by an installer if the plugin came with one....which just does the copying for you.

Extensions are shared between 2014 and 2015(.0.1).
It is possible to have both 2014 and 2015(.0.1) installed as with previous versions but 2015(.0.1) was specifically written to remove 2014 and replace it during the update.

For this reason if you kept 2014 then you may find a conflict between the extensions and will also need to reinstall them via the extension manager....but in my experience running both 2014 and 2015(.0.1) didn't, and still doesn't, work very well.

I never got as far as testing extensions in 2015 as it was so bad I uninstalled it almost immediately.
Since then I've installed 2015.0.1 without 2014 and all my 2014 extensions seem to be ok...that may not be the case for all extensions though.

The 'Additional Plug-Ins" folder option under preferences was removed in version CC as nobody ever used it...according to Adobe....so don't go looking for it.

CS6 was the last version to have that option.

Regards.
MrToM.

But my 2015 version, which I have paid for for a year. has a file folder called plug-ins. I can see all my plug-in files there. So now how do I get them to show in Photoshop?

BTW I only had CS 3 befpre this and I used the "additional plug-in files" to install them with CS3.
I hope you're not saying it's impossible.
Thanks.

I call them plug-ins or filters.

Brace yourself...

Well....the chances of a CS3 plug-in working with 2015 is fairly remote.

You do have a choice though:
A. Check to see if a 2015 version of the plug-in is available....if not...
B. Keep, and use, CS3 whenever you need to apply a plug-in that doesn't work in 2015.

And just before you think I'm having you on.....I'm not.

That's just the way Adobe and 'plug-ins' work.....they update their software and expect everybody that takes any interest in developing plug-ins, filters, extensions etc. etc. to instantly follow suit.

That's how it's always been with Adobe.

This is one reason why more than one version of Photoshop can be installed at the same time....so that 'older' plug-ins would still work with an 'older' version of Photoshop.

Likewise why both 32 and 64bit versions could also be installed.....doesn't make sense until you realize that its just Adobe covering their butt.

If you want complain to them feel free to do so....you won't be the first and you certainly wont be the last.

Sorry its not better news.....take it up with Adobe....they'll listen. :rofl:

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
That's very interesting. If new windows versions don't do it, upgraded software will! But, you're right. Just tonight I had to revert to CS3 to get the job done with plug-ins. Also, I think I will discuss this with Adobe. Can't hurt.
Thanks,
pslane

No worries....sorry it wasn't better news.

You may get lucky with the odd plug-in that works but its rare, and in your case since none of your plug-ins show up as being installed then its a fair bet that none of them are compatible with 2015.

When it comes to development I know little about plug-ins but when developing extensions the maximum required PS version has to be specified.....some developers will specify a version well in advance just so it has at least a fighting chance of lasting longer than the next software update.

Its unlikely that a 'feature' of PS will be removed so this type of forward thinking usually works but of course that's not to say that the code used won't change....which it often does.

Ho hum.

Good luck with Adobe....let us know how you get on.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back