What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anchor Handle Mystery.

MrToM

Guru
Win7 SP1, CC 2014

I'm stumped....genuinely.

I just don't know HOW I did this....I'll probably never need to do it ever again but the fact that I couldn't even if I wanted to is driving me mad.

So just HOW did I do this....?

All I can remember of the workflow:

1. Pen tool [set to shape] - 3 points clicked creating 2 straight segments.
2. DRAGGED Segment to create curve....handle only appeared on Centre anchor point.
3. DRAGGED other segment with similar results.

All settings were as you see in the video.
At the end of the video I select each end anchor point to show neither have any control handles.
Only the centre anchor point has handles and they are somehow 'linked' together.

What happens now is that dragging a segment just moves it.....taking its respective anchor points with it.....it no longer creates a curve....grrrrrrr!!!

I've tried every button / key / setting / combo I can think of...except the one that works.

I don't think I actually used any keyboard combinations....but I couldn't be 100% on that.

So...
How did I create curves by dragging the segment?
How did I get BOTH handles to move together?

Can anybody replicate this?

Any info greatly appreciated.....and I'll lay off the cheese.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can do everything your doing in the video with both the Pen Tool and the Direct Selection Tool. The main difference is that with the Pen Tool, I have to use option key to move the handles or drag the segments and command + option keys to get to move both handles at the same time. With the Direct Selection Tool, I have to use the option key to get the handles to move in unison.

If I tick "Constrain Path Dragging" I never see handles on the two end points, visa versa, if I un-tick it, it will create handles on the endpoints.

hawkeye

Guru
IamSam hit the nail on the head, Constrain Path Dragging prevents the outer points from forming handles when you drag. I noticed in the video that option is check marked. Ordinarily you need to hold the alt key to move both points in unison. Obviously this somehow got "stuck" (for lack of a better word). We all know that Photoshop can develop the occasional glitch.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks guys, appreciated.

If I understand both of you correctly you can both convert a straight segment to a curve simply by clicking and dragging it....?

This I cannot do....and never have I don't think.

If I convert the centre anchor point and manually drag out the control handles then sure....using 'Alt' will move both of them simultaneously....and the 'Constrain' option works as it should.

What you see in the video is straight segments converted to curves by dragging the segment....the control handle extends from the centre anchor point as I do.

This is the strange thing. Normally, doing that just drags the segment....which is what it does now.
I intended to 'move' a segment when this happened...but it didn't move, it converted to a curve.

What I cannot do again is drag a segment to create a curve....regardless of settings, or key combos.

That video also shows both control handles moving simultaneously without using any key combo....not even 'Alt'....just the 'Direct Selection' tool and clicking and dragging.

You see my confusion? :biglaff:

Everything you've both said is spot on, I understand completely....but it doesn't explain why at that particular moment, dragging a segment created a curve....and moving 'a' handle moved both without holding a key.

Am I missing something really simple here?
What are both your workflows for replicating the situation?

I totally agree it could be a 'glitch'....but I can't replicate this on either of my Win7 machines (CC 2014) nor my Win10 machine (2015.0.1)....chances of them all having the same 'glitch' is possible but surely very remote...?

(Yeah I know....glutton for punishment...CC 2015.0.1 AND Win10....that's just the kind of crazy fool I am!)

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

hawkeye

Guru
Are you saying you used the pen tool and made a straight line with 3 straight points. Then using the Direct Selection Tool you dragged a midpoint between the straight points and the middle point changed to a bezier curve?

If so I have no explanation other the "glitch" theory. Strange things can happen with computers and software.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Are you saying you used the pen tool and made a straight line with 3 straight points. Then using the Direct Selection Tool you dragged a midpoint between the straight points and the middle point changed to a bezier curve?...
More or less, yes.

This is why I posted the question because normally the segment just 'moves', and not create a curve.

This time it did though, and I can't get it to do it again.

Using CTRL and dragging just de-selects the path. (Because the tool switches to the 'Path Selection' tool.)
Using ALT just copies the entire path.
Using SHIFT constrains the movement.

I don't know why I didn't upload the PSD before but here it is...

View attachment anchor_mystery_MT_02.psd

If you use the 'Direct Selection' tool and select just the centre anchor point you'll get the two control handles.

If you then just click and drag one of those handles the other will move too....without the need to hold 'ALT'.

The curves can also be dragged too but turning off the 'Constrain' option and dragging 'resets' the centre anchor point to a 'smooth' bezier.

Well, hopefully that will happen....if it does then maybe a 'glitch' can be ruled out.

Maybe a keener eye can see what's going on in the PSD.

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

hawkeye

Guru
Very interesting indeed. But I still wouldn't rule out the glitch issue. It might even be hitting some other key accidentally that caused it to occur.

Before I had Premier Pro, I was using Premier Elements and had an extra line appear above the timeline which I hadn't seen before. I asked Adobe what it was and they said it was a Premier Pro feature that wasn't included with Elements. The fact that Elements uses much of the Pro code, they said it must have been some key sequence that activated it, although they couldn't say what. I couldn't duplicate it again either at least not when I tried, but I did accidentally on another occasions. I never did figure it out.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks for looking.....weird isn't it?

I've tried every key combo I can think of but I've not yet replicated that stage again.....I did get one side to produce a curve by dragging but the other side just moved the two anchor points as usual....and I didn't do anything special when it happened neither.

As with converting a 'smooth' or 'cusp' anchor point to a 'corner'....can a 'corner' be converted to 'smooth' or 'cusp'...?

The only thing I can think of is that this happened, but without any 'initial' dragging of the handles.....so essentially they lie on top of the anchor point and to the eye are not visible.

This would mean that the segment could then be dragged but to do both sides at different angles and have both moved without holding 'ALT' isn't possible even by this method.

Its a dooozy! :biglaff:

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.