What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me create a template with 2 x 2 5/8 cells that automatically re-sizes photos

xiryrg2013

Hello. Relatively new to photoshop. Please help. I need to make a 8 1/2 x 11 page and on this page I need 4 x 4 picture frames that whenever I copy and paste any picture into it it will automatically adjust to the size of the frame which is 2" x 2 5/8" all 16 frames the same size. Thank you for your help in advance.

MrToM

Guru
I don't think you can do that....not in its entirety anyway.

Yes you can set up 16 smart objects and yes you can easily change each image but i don't think you'll find a way to auto re-size the images to fit.

As you could not only use the whole image you could also use part of an image, PS has no way of knowing what part of that image you want to use.

Likewise if the dimensions and aspect ratio are different.

You could do it manually but it doesn't sound like you want to do that.

The only way I see it working is if the images you use are already the right size.

I may be wrong but I couldn't find a way to make images 'fit' into a smart object.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for your reply, but i dont need a collsge app. I have to make foto frames in photoshop

These are all photo frames. If your placing them in a single document as bellow, then this is a collage.
I don't know which ones, but many of the collage programs will do exactly what your needing!
All you have to do is add the photo and the program will resize it to fit the designated frame.

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 9.58.34 AM.png

I think you can also add any frame to the program. If you want to make your own frames in Ps, you can add them.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding what it is your trying to accomplish.

xiryrg2013

Sorry I probably didnt explain it correctly. I dont need frames I just need a standard paper 8 1/2 x 11 and on this paper 16 pictures without frames. Each pic 2 x 2 5/8. But i need to create this templat that will allow me easily remove old pictures, plug in new once and print again with have to spend hours adjusting each picture separately.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I see what you mean. We should re-title your thread since what it describes is not what you want.

I'm not saying that it can't be done in Photoshop, but it would require a very sophisticated script.

I still believe that what you want is a collage app. Allow me to explain.

In my above image there still exists a template........
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.45.58 PM.png

Without the frames...
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.46.13 PM.png

The template without the frame or photos....
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.45.27 PM.png

This is a template in the dimensions you describe....
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.48.05 PM.png

All the program need do is add your images to the defined template cells.

After having said this, I'm only about 10% sure that the Collage program would work.
You would have to do some investigating.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, let's start from the beginning. For this example, I'm only going to show you how to clip and image to shape.

Let's create the shape first. (Don't worry about the document size for the moment)

Select you Rectangle Tool.
Set the tool to shape. Set the tools fill color to black. Turn off the stroke.
Click once in the center of your document and to open the 'Create Rectangle' UI.
Enter your height and width parameters. (2.0in x 2.3125in)
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.04.38 AM.png

This will create a 2 x 25/8 in black rectangle in the center of your document.
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.09.04 AM.png

Now, let's make this photo of this cat be constrained to the black rectangle.
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.09.14 AM.png

First you need to select/highlight the Cat's layer.
Second, you need to right click the Cat's layer and choose, 'Create clipping mask'.
You will now have something like this.....
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.09.34 AM.png

Make sure you select/highlight the Cat's layer.
In order to size the image, you will need to enter Free Transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T)
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.09.57 AM.png

Hold the shift key and the alt/option key to constrain the photos proportions.
Mouseover one of the corner handles, click and drag to re-size the image to fit in the cell the way you like.
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.10.33 AM.png

Hit enter or the checkmark to accept the state changes.
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.29.10 AM.png

Here is what the layers panel should look like....
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 8.11.42 AM.png

This is how you create a specifically sized rectangle and clip and image to it.

There is no drag and drop method with Photoshop, you will have to resize each image you add to the cells.

Next I will show how to make the template.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, just noticed the time!

I will have to work on the template tut later this evening.

But one of our other members may jump in and show you how to make the template.