What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with magnetic pen tool

peter222666

Hallo, I have problem with pen magnetic pen tool.
When I draw path, I have chosen (in magnetic pen tool settings) many anchor points on my path.
I see them there.
But
When I finish my drawing (the start and end point are connected together) the path is not that accurate.
Photoshop plain the path, which was accurate before, now is not that accurate.

Please help me. Is possible to draw accurate paths? With too many points?
Because I like that accurate paths, they are that what I want.
But when I finalize my drawing, I am straw.

See attached file, there is preview of difference between path, when I draw it, and filan path after connecting first and last point.

I was trying to change magic pen settings (up on panel) but unsuccessfully.

Thank you.

Attachments

• MAGNETIC PEN TOO.jpg
    MAGNETIC PEN TOO.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 5

MrToM

Guru
When using the 'Freeform Pen' tool with 'magnetic' option you have to be aware that this is an 'active' tool.

It will try its best to accurately follow the edges of high contrast pixels as you drag across them....in real time.

You should do your very best to follow those edges yourself in order to give PS the best possible chance of making an accurate decision.

If a high contrast edge cannot be found then the tool will behave erratically....it has to go somewhere but hasn't any 'good' edges to follow.

Your screenshot is a good example of how NOT to use this tool.....the path does not follow any natural edges of high contrast.....especially in the middle of the glass.

There is absolutely no need for excessive anchors points either, its just dirty, unnecessary and inaccurate.

I would take some time to view a few tutorials on the tool as it would be too complex to describe in a forum.....there are plenty on YouTube.

Regards.
MrToM.

peter222666

Mr. Tom thank you for answer,
my screenshot which I send is not about precision my path. It is about number of anchor points.
I saw many times, that path with many points is more more accurate, like path after drawing - after connection of first and last point.
I want know if is possible to draw paths with that many points which stay, what thery are durring drawing.
I think that is not possible. Such a pitty. Because paths with too many points durring drawing are more accurate like path which is "cleaned and plained".
My opinion is that this is one of imperfection of Photoshop.
Durring drawing - accurate.
After drawing - not accurate.

Peter

hawkeye

Guru
I'm not certain what you are trying to accomplish but it most cases the pen tool works best with fewer points rather than more, especially for curves. The circle below has 2 points. Adding more points won't make it more accurate, actually it would have the opposite effect.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 36

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with both MrTom and Hawkeye.

The more points you have the LESS accurate your path will be.

This is exaggerated but it demonstrates what we are talking about.

Without a curvature between points, you have straight lines/paths...........
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.28.17 AM.png

This has a curve.........
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.37.25 AM.png

You should learn to use the Regular Pen Tool.

peter222666

Yes, I understand what are anchor points and their function.
Less anchor points, better curve - smoother curve.
Try to draw with magnetic pen tool with many anchor points, and you will see that precision.
Not difficult thing. Try it and you will see.
And you will see also, that when you will end you path, what heppend.
Path happend imprecise.
Nothing difficult to understand.

I do not need paths, because directly after drawing I change it to selection.
I do not want to save paths, I am using magnetic pen tool just because of selections.
I work later only with selections.
That is my case.

It is that reason, I want magnetic pen paths. I want change them to selection later and work with selection.
It is that reason, why I want precise paths with magnetic pen tool.
Who tells me, that paths with less points (in this case) are more precise is mistaken.

when i draw straight paths around glass or ceramic objects I am using bezier paths of course.
But when I am drawing around natural object, which have not clean and direct shape, I am using magnetic pen tool.

Peter

hawkeye

Guru
The magnetic pen tool is not a precise tool, you might as well be using the magnetic lasso tool.
You can believe anything you wish about anchor points, but just look at your original screenshot at the number of points the tool added on the top rim of the glass and down the right side. You don't need that many points. For the most precision you need to learn to use the pen tool and place points only where they are required.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
peter said:
Yes, I understand what are anchor points and their function.
Less anchor points, better curve - smoother curve.
Good, now we're getting somewhere.

peter said:
Try to draw with magnetic pen tool with many anchor points, and you will see that precision.
Not difficult thing. Try it and you will see.
I have tried, many times. It is a waste of time. No precision.

peter said:
And you will see also, that when you will end you path, what heppend.
Path happend imprecise.
Nothing difficult to understand.
Exactly. You get an imprecise path that will convert to an imprecise selection. Nothing difficult to understand here.

peter said:
I do not need paths, because directly after drawing I change it to selection.
Then why are you using the Freeform Pen Tool set to path? This tool creates paths!
If you want a tool that does not create paths, use the Lasso Tool, it creates a selection.

peter said:
I do not want to save paths, I am using magnetic pen tool just because of selections.
I work later only with selections.
That is my case.
Then stop using a tool that creates paths.
As was pointed out, the regular Pen Tool works exactly the same way! It creates a PRECISE path that you can turn into a PRECISE selection.

peter said:
It is that reason, I want magnetic pen paths. I want change them to selection later and work with selection.
It is that reason, why I want precise paths with magnetic pen tool.
A path is a path is a path. No matter what tool you use, the Freeform Pen Tool or the regular Pen Tool, they both create a pth that must be turned into a selection.

peter said:
Who tells me, that paths with less points (in this case) are more precise is mistaken.
Your absolutely wrong.

edit: I stand corrected on this. The Freeform Pen Tool (set to magnetic) does create curves between points, they are simply very inaccurate! My guess is that the program is averaging
the curve.

peter said:
But when I am drawing around natural object, which have not clean and direct shape, I am using magnetic pen tool.
As we have all suggested, the normal Pen Tool would be a much better choice.

Your simply trying to accomplish something with the wrong tool.

You came to us for advise and your not willing to listen. My final point to be made here is........hows the Freeform Pen Tool working for you?

Last edited:

peter222666

Halo, here is one more precise example of what I mean.

Here is picture,
at first I draw path, which looks perfect - there are more points, never mind. Path is precise.
After drawing and ending path
I see not too precise path. Such a pitty.

magnetic pen tool bug.jpg

You can see at the arces, how inaccurate it is.
I hope, that somebody help me, because I like that paths, that precise paths. I wont they for my daily work.
But after drawing - after connection start and end point - not good outcome.

Peter.

peter222666

How wery nice selection it could be (from the left image) and how worse selection it must be (right image) after drawing with magnetic freeform pen tool.

Ufff.

Such a pitty.

Peter

Paul

Former Member
Yeah change the frequency setting to a higher number and slow down while moving the pointer.

frequency.jpg

MrToM

Guru
What did Adobe say about it?

I assume you've taken this up with them and are just relaying your displeasure here, I mean it sounds as if you have an issue with the software they provide so they would be the best people to moan to, don't you think?

In the meantime, have you tried changing the 'magnetic' options for the 'Pen' tool?

magnetic_pen_options_MT_01.png

Changing the 'Curves fit' option sounds like the option you need.

Failing that, why can't you just edit the path afterwards?

Is it too difficult for you?
Do you need help editing paths?

Personally I wouldn't use that tool for this type of job but you seem adamant to use it despite suggestions to the contrary, in which case if changing the settings doesn't help you then you'll just have to live with the results you get.

Any 'Pen' tool is not that accurate anyway as it tends to 'split' pixels giving a false sense of smoothness.
The 'Path' has to be vectorized at some point and often makes it look worse than other methods.

Not only that but Photoshop isn't that accurate period.

Maybe Photoshop is just completely the wrong application for the task in hand, or your expectations of it.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What did Adobe say about it?

I assume you've taken this up with them and are just relaying your displeasure here, I mean it sounds as if you have an issue with the software they provide so they would be the best people to moan to, don't you think?

In the meantime, have you tried changing the 'magnetic' options for the 'Pen' tool?

View attachment 58480

Changing the 'Curves fit' option sounds like the option you need.

Failing that, why can't you just edit the path afterwards?

Is it too difficult for you?
Do you need help editing paths?

Personally I wouldn't use that tool for this type of job but you seem adamant to use it despite suggestions to the contrary, in which case if changing the settings doesn't help you then you'll just have to live with the results you get.

Any 'Pen' tool is not that accurate anyway as it tends to 'split' pixels giving a false sense of smoothness.
The 'Path' has to be vectorized at some point and often makes it look worse than other methods.

Not only that but Photoshop isn't that accurate period.

Maybe Photoshop is just completely the wrong application for the task in hand, or your expectations of it.

Regards.
MrToM.

peter222666 You continue to post examples of your problem as though none of us are smart enough to understand. You state, "everybody must see it". I can assure you that we understand. We see it.

The Freeform Pen Tool set to magnetic, is not the right tool for what your trying to accomplish. If you can't get the results you need from the tool...........you change to a different tool or try a new method.