What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, guys...how the heck do I do this? Transparency with black

Boogey

I have no idea how to remove the black in these and turn these images transparent...how to retain the fade around the edges
...hoping that one of you guru's can help let me know if it's even possible?

Much appreciation in advance!

Attachments

• atom.jpg
    atom.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Eclipse_WallpaperLarge.jpg
    Eclipse_WallpaperLarge.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We had a very old thread that addressed this exactly. I don't remember who offered a working solution.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find it.

As for me, I would much rather recreate the effects from scratch than to try and remove the black.

It's a long shot, but you wouldn't happen to have the original PSD files? (obviously if you did you may not be asking the question)

I tried the method of this old thread discovered by Tom Mann.
I came up with this. Looks a bit strange and like a Negativ.

atom old thread method.jpg

With my method I copied and pasted channels to other channels I came up with this. More later.
It still looks like a Negativ but more "normal".

atom chrisdesign.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks, Chris.

To be honest, I'm not in love with the methods discussed in that old thread, either. I think Sam's original comment, "As for me, I would much rather recreate the effects from scratch than to try and remove the black ..." is the only way to guarantee good results. There may be work-arounds that are somewhat effective in specific cases, but it's just not that difficult to recreate images like these from scratch so I think one's time is better spent doing that.

IMHO, while the request can be stated so simply, the simple wording harbors many complexities and concepts that aren't stated and which may vary from case to case. For example, how do you treat the very dark blues in the "atom" image? Should the very dark blues be regarded as blues (and retained), or blacks (and removed / turned to transparency or white)? Even if you figure out how to make this decision, then you have to figure out exactly how to make the transition between these two different approaches to tweaking the two areas so the transition looks smooth and natural.

Tom M

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Using the Green and Blue Channels to create selections of the atom would have worked if it were not for the gradient/glow. There's the tendency of producing banded and inaccurate colors.

Atom_dv.jpg

I duplicated the atom layer copy created using the Blue Channel a few times so you can see the banded and pixelated glow. Incidentally, I brushed in the black fill in the orbits (layer7).

@Boogey....

You're best bet is to recreate the atom as IamSam suggested.

If you are unable to do this, the next option is to isolate/extract the atom image itself by using the pen tool to create selections along the orbit path as well as using the Ellipse tool to select the nucleus and electrons. Try and minimize stray pixels of the black background and gradient glow so you'll have a clean atom copy. Then add in the glow by adding a drop shadow or outer glow effect on a duplicate of the nucleus layer with desired blue.

That eclipse image is even worse to isolate as it turns out blotchy, weird and ultra banded on a different color background. :banghead: It may be possible to do it using the techniques previously mentioned by the others......

Maybe I'll experiment on it again later in the day......

Boogey

You guys are great....thank you. I'm unable to recreate the images as they are far above my ability.
My goal is to have a transparent version of this to use on letterhead, mails, etc....I own a DJ company and created this for it
I really appreciate the help gents.

Attachments

• AtomicBlackVertWixPNG.png
    AtomicBlackVertWixPNG.png
    974.1 KB · Views: 3

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@Boogey.... Personally, I'd prefer to keep the black background. It's what makes the eclipse image pop-out. Even if you managed to remove it and tweak the color, the rays would still be insignificant. Even more so if reduced to a size suitable for a letterhead.

Besides, the black is in keeping to the atmosphere of your profession - at night or in the dark ....... with pulsating lights on the dance floor and around you. Can you see or appreciate the wow factor of a Golden Scan or a thousand watt color par lamp in a brightly lit room or in daylight?

But it's a matter of one's preference ...

events.jpg

Just me thinking......

Boogey

@Boogey.... Personally, I'd prefer to keep the black background. It's what makes the eclipse image pop-out. Even if you managed to remove it and tweak the color, the rays would still be insignificant. Even more so if reduced to a size suitable for a letterhead.

Besides, the black is in keeping to the atmosphere of your profession - at night or in the dark ....... with pulsating lights on the dance floor and around you. Can you see or appreciate the wow factor of a Golden Scan or a thousand watt color par lamp in a brightly lit room or in daylight?

View attachment 58260

Just me thinking......

No, I totally agree...I'll be using the black background for most everything but wanted to try keeping the continuity for a signature in emails...that said, thanks for the work and the feedback!
Is it possible to get a high rez version of that there from you? Also...any way to get I so the flare on top and bottom don't cut off so abruptly? That's what I was looking for...awesome!

Boogey

Oh for god sakes....what am I paying you for?!
No Worries...I really appreciate it.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Is it possible to get a high rez version of that there from you? Also...any way to get I so the flare on top and bottom don't cut off so abruptly? That's what I was looking for...awesome!

You guys are great....thank you. I'm unable to recreate the images as they are far above my ability.
My goal is to have a transparent version of this to use on letterhead, mails, etc....I own a DJ company and created this for it
I really appreciate the help gents.

Since you've managed to create this, upload or send me the original psd workfile. I was working on your uploaded logo in which the top and bottom are cropped off. And as you can see, the text doesn't come out the way it should without the black background.

View attachment 58260

Just me thinking......

I guess anyone can see now that you can't win this game here.
Though I really admire your many efforts to show the OP possible solutions.

Fact is that a "fire" looks perfect only on a dark background and never in broad daylight or on a white background.
Same as stars, firework, streetlights.
I think these where your thoughts anyway. Thanks again dv8_fx.

Boogey

Since you've managed to create this, upload or send me the original psd workfile. I was working on your uploaded logo in which the top and bottom are cropped off. And as you can see, the text doesn't come out the way it should without the black background.
Msg'd you w/ link....thanks!

Last edited:

Boogey

A huge thank you to dx8_fx for all the time and help he put in...just awesome.

Attachments

• Atomic_FinalArt_EurekaS.png
    Atomic_FinalArt_EurekaS.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 9

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
A huge thank you to dx8_fx for all the time and help he put in...just awesome.

:cheesygrin: You're very welcome, Boogey....

And if you are ever in need of design services (Gig flyers, T-shirt design, etc...) at reasonable prices and done by qualified forum freelance designers of PhotoShopGurus, drop by the forum's Freelance Area and give us your design brief.....

Photoshop Freelance Work (Fee for Service Section)

Best Wishes and more power to you and your DJ company!!!!