What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, I need help on a new Comic Book project where I use real photos to draw

Skyes

Hello everyone. It's been a while. How are you guys?
Well, I am starting this new comic book/manga story. I use real pictures to draw over them and add effects on them, like this:

ian_somerhalder___hey_you__by_tomsgg-d4xbw6a.jpgAlexSmall.jpg (I used Ian Somenhaulder as a model to one of my characters)
I have many more examples made, like these: 10308361_10202711618483943_3575811172918342821_n.jpg10171640_10202718629179206_1010144381227082972_n.jpgFall.jpg1959459_10202676651649794_2453953598113389339_n.jpg11898635_10206166361970371_1216025816444717222_n.jpgeqw.jpg

As you can see, all of them were created based on Real Pictures. I find it much easier to keep everything symetric when you have a real picture to base yourself with. Of course, many will say that this is not art, and etc. I don't really know what this is, but I like it. And I want to create a comic book using this method.

And I can alter the picture in any way I like when I draw, so it is very handy.

The point is, I will have a lot of work (as expected, of course). For instance, I will need a photo for each scene. Let's say, for example, that in a scene, 2 men are walking down the stairs as they talk. I will need a picture that is similar or identic to what I have in mind to begin the scene. And this is with every single frame of the comic book. Lots of work. Ok, the picture don't have to be identic to what I have in mind, as this would be virtually impossible, but you guys got the point.

The other thing I could do is use myself as a model for these situations. If I need to draw a scene of a man jumping, for example, I could just take a picture of myself jumping. But this would equally be a lot of trouble.

But the problem comes in more complex scenarios. Let's say that I need to do a fighting scene. How am I supposed to do that? 2 men fighting each other with swords, etc. I can't use myself as a model, (since I am only 1 person), and neither find pictures on the internet of it that are not copyrighted or belong to other mangas or comis.

So, what do you guys suggest? How can I make this comic book using pictures as models? What is the best way to do it? Any suggestions?

I really love this concept, but I can't find the way to make it work correctly :(

Any idea or suggestion are welcome :)

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Paul

Former Member
Nice idea mate, just think about the image compression when going with this idea as it might get to dark image dependent that is.

Tom Mann

Guru
The base photo for each frame of your comic certainly doesn't need to be high quality. However, you could clearly benefit from being able to chose the best base photo for each frame of the comic from a wide range of possibilities. So, I would get 3 friends with cell phones that can shoot video to accompany you to the various locations, place them around the talent (...no, you can't do this by yourself -- you are going to need help...) and have the actors do their thing. Review the videos and grab a few of the most appropriate frames. If necessary, make rough composites of the actors in front of more appropriate backgrounds to guide you in perspective and other decisions, and proceed with your usual workflow.

BTW, I presume that when planning each comic, you already have the equivalent of storyboards and shot lists that probably could be reused with little modification for the video shooting. If you don't already use storyboards and shot lists, I suggest you read up on video production, e.g., http://singlegrain.com/video-marketing/20-pre-production-steps-to-video-content/ and seriously consider using them to organize and plan for each production.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - I don't think you are going to be very happy with the result of using images from the web. I suspect you will run into huge problems finding even a few pix that are exactly what you need, let alone all that you will need to put the entire comic together using the workflow you described. In addition, I can almost guarantee you that there will also be major problems matching one frame to the next if all you can use are pix from the web.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I think concepting from web images is perfectly alright, i've concepted a few of my character designs from images of real people, primarily because on my bad days my dyspraxia likes to get in the way of getting a good, proportioned image.

But when it comes to actually making the comic book, its important to draw out the characters in the pose you need them in freehand, taking the concept into account.

As Tom has said, drawing out a comic book usimg pictures from the web will be unnecessarily difficult and inconsistent.

My recommendation is that you just concept, practice getting the designs in different poses, and then do the comic book freehand for thenmost part.

Tom Mann

Guru
Distinguishing between using photos for conceptualization of ideas vs using them to trace from was a great ditinction to make, Zee. Great advice!

Tom M

Skyes

Nice idea mate, just think about the image compression when going with this idea as it might get to dark image dependent that is.

Yes friend, I usually change my picture to 300 DPI before I start working at it (if that's what you meant). This way I have a much better quality and bigger picture, so the drawing don't get too dark.

The base photo for each frame of your comic certainly doesn't need to be high quality. However, you could clearly benefit from being able to chose the best base photo for each frame of the comic from a wide range of possibilities. So, I would get 3 friends with cell phones that can shoot video to accompany you to the various locations, place them around the talent (...no, you can't do this by yourself -- you are going to need help...) and have the actors do their thing. Review the videos and grab a few of the most appropriate frames. If necessary, make rough composites of the actors in front of more appropriate backgrounds to guide you in perspective and other decisions, and proceed with your usual workflow.

BTW, I presume that when planning each comic, you already have the equivalent of storyboards and shot lists that probably could be reused with little modification for the video shooting. If you don't already use storyboards and shot lists, I suggest you read up on video production, e.g., http://singlegrain.com/video-marketing/20-pre-production-steps-to-video-content/ and seriously consider using them to organize and plan for each production.

HTH,

Tom M
I am afraid have to agree with you :(
PS - I don't think you are going to be very happy with the result of using images from the web. I suspect you will run into huge problems finding even a few pix that are exactly what you need, let alone all that you will need to put the entire comic together using the workflow you described. In addition, I can almost guarantee you that there will also be major problems matching one frame to the next if all you can use are pix from the web.
I guess you're right
I think concepting from web images is perfectly alright, i've concepted a few of my character designs from images of real people, primarily because on my bad days my dyspraxia likes to get in the way of getting a good, proportioned image.

But when it comes to actually making the comic book, its important to draw out the characters in the pose you need them in freehand, taking the concept into account.

As Tom has said, drawing out a comic book usimg pictures from the web will be unnecessarily difficult and inconsistent.

My recommendation is that you just concept, practice getting the designs in different poses, and then do the comic book freehand for thenmost part.
I will think more about this :) thanks

Skyes

So basically what you guys suggest is that I go out with some friends and take the pictures of the diverse scenes and panels I need? I don't need to worry about the background, since I can easily make any background in Photoshop (I guess).

Tom Mann

Guru
That's indeed what I'm suggesting (based on your stated workflow / approach).

However, Zee is suggesting something slightly different. If I am correct, I'm pretty sure she is suggesting that you use photos only for the conceptualization part, but don't just trace them, draw them freehand based on the photo.

Tom M

Skyes

That's a good idea as well, were not the fact that my scanner is broken :(
I really need a new one, and also a drawing tablet. It's really hard to draw using the mouse :(

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm really confused. I never suggested doing anything that required a scanner. Perhaps there is a language problem?

Sincerely,

Tom M

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Freehand normally refers to 'on paper with a pencil' or using a pen tablet Tom ;)

If you're starting out, I strongly suggest pencil and paper.

If your scanner is broken, improvise, adapt and overcome. Experiment on paper for a bit, try out different artistic stylings or ways of drawing out the characters until you find a technique you are comfortable with, practice getting everything just right.
in my graphic design group, this was a crucial phase known as experimentation every comic book, character, and concept artist has experimentation at the heart of their professional designs

Practice practice practice, then when you come to the actual finalisation stage,and you have a new scanner everything is in your muscle memory and you're more prepared with the knowledge of what techniques you are using to achieve your final piece

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The point is, I will have a lot of work (as expected, of course). For instance, I will need a photo for each scene. Let's say, for example, that in a scene, 2 men are walking down the stairs as they talk. I will need a picture that is similar or identic to what I have in mind to begin the scene. And this is with every single frame of the comic book. Lots of work. Ok, the picture don't have to be identic to what I have in mind, as this would be virtually impossible, but you guys got the point.

The other thing I could do is use myself as a model for these situations. If I need to draw a scene of a man jumping, for example, I could just take a picture of myself jumping. But this would equally be a lot of trouble.

But the problem comes in more complex scenarios. Let's say that I need to do a fighting scene. How am I supposed to do that? 2 men fighting each other with swords, etc. I can't use myself as a model, (since I am only 1 person), and neither find pictures on the internet of it that are not copyrighted or belong to other mangas or comis.

What I can suggest will take a bit of learning different technology......

There are two 3d rendering applications out there you can use to create special scenes for your comics - Poser by Smith Micro Software or DAZ Studio by DAZ3D (free). You can visit the sites to learn more about their flagship applications and read testimonials from users like you who create comics or storyboards.

Both application comes with its default presets of characters, scenes, props and other stuff needed to create 3D renders. Additional stuff by the thousands are offered free for use by it's legion of users at both sites, ShareCG. or other Poser/DS user sites. Or you can purchase items at major internet markets like Renderosity, Daz3D, Content Paradise and elsewhere. They also offer free content.....

I created this fictional samurai action scene in just a few minutes in POSER9 using some of it's preset assets - character, clothing, scene, prop , pose and lighting but less a Katana... lol. I could have opted for the ballet tutu but that's stretching the character's image a bit too far ..... :cheesygrin:

I'm using just one of it's Hi-res characters but you can add more of them as you wish. Their features can be morphed into a variety of looks. These characters can be posed individually.

Samurai01.jpg

You can either create a complete scene with characters or just the scene itself. The beauty about it is you have control of the camera angles pre-positioned in the scene. It's just a matter of moving the X or Y axis controls of the Main rigging/render camera in 3D cyber space. In short, you are the director, cinematographer, lights crew, grip boy, stage hands , etc in the making of the entire scene. These can be saved for future use in other stories.

Or if you have an existing image to superimpose your actors, you can render just the character and export it to Photoshop for further editing. This is saved with an alpha channel for ease of extraction and dragging into it's needed environment .

ActionManAlphaC.jpg

You also have the option in both applications to create a cartoon/sketch render. In this sample, I merely tweaked the preset controls a bit but you can accomplish better results if fine tuned.... It's great for combining bokeh or psychedelic style background scene renders with life like actors....

Action Sketch.jpg

Look into it's possibilities......

Incidentally, Daz Studio Pro 4.8 is free and loaded with a starter kit of props, clothing and depending on it's current content packaging, Victoria 4.0 and Michael 4.0, earlier versions of it's top selling 3d characters - standards used by all Poser and DAZ users.

Tom Mann

Guru
Freehand normally refers to 'on paper with a pencil' or using a pen tablet Tom ;) ...
Whoops - my bad! Usually, I'm the one that's always recommending going back to basics. I hardly use paper and pencil for anything anymore and was thinking only in terms of using a stylus & tablet.

Thanks, Zee.

Skyes

What I can suggest will take a bit of learning different technology......

There are two 3d rendering applications out there you can use to create special scenes for your comics - Poser by Smith Micro Software or DAZ Studio by DAZ3D (free). You can visit the sites to learn more about their flagship applications and read testimonials from users like you who create comics or storyboards.

Both application comes with its default presets of characters, scenes, props and other stuff needed to create 3D renders. Additional stuff by the thousands are offered free for use by it's legion of users at both sites, ShareCG. or other Poser/DS user sites. Or you can purchase items at major internet markets like Renderosity, Daz3D, Content Paradise and elsewhere. They also offer free content.....

I created this fictional samurai action scene in just a few minutes in POSER9 using some of it's preset assets - character, clothing, scene, prop , pose and lighting but less a Katana... lol. I could have opted for the ballet tutu but that's stretching the character's image a bit too far ..... :cheesygrin:

I'm using just one of it's Hi-res characters but you can add more of them as you wish. Their features can be morphed into a variety of looks. These characters can be posed individually.

View attachment 58388

You can either create a complete scene with characters or just the scene itself. The beauty about it is you have control of the camera angles pre-positioned in the scene. It's just a matter of moving the X or Y axis controls of the Main rigging/render camera in 3D cyber space. In short, you are the director, cinematographer, lights crew, grip boy, stage hands , etc in the making of the entire scene. These can be saved for future use in other stories.

Or if you have an existing image to superimpose your actors, you can render just the character and export it to Photoshop for further editing. This is saved with an alpha channel for ease of extraction and dragging into it's needed environment .

View attachment 58389

You also have the option in both applications to create a cartoon/sketch render. In this sample, I merely tweaked the preset controls a bit but you can accomplish better results if fine tuned.... It's great for combining bokeh or psychedelic style background scene renders with life like actors....

View attachment 58390

Look into it's possibilities......

Incidentally, Daz Studio Pro 4.8 is free and loaded with a starter kit of props, clothing and depending on it's current content packaging, Victoria 4.0 and Michael 4.0, an earlier version of it's top selling 3d characters - standards used by all Poser users.

Damn, those softwares sound amazing! I'll try them out! Thanks a lot :)