What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with photo deblurring

nandia

Hello!
Will someone please be kind enough as to help me by deblurring this picture for me so I can read what it says at the top and at the bottom? I am trying desperately to find out more about this poster but it seems pointless unless I can make out what the logos say. Thank you so much in advance for taking the time!! I appreciate it :)

www.photoshopgurus.com.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Nandia -

Thank you for visiting PhotoshopGurus.com. That's a very interesting image. Is it a photo of a painting? Where is it from?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but people think we can work miracles with blurry pictures, just like on the TV crime shows, and with great regularity, they stop by this forum and ask us to help them out with their blurry photo, e.g.,

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...enir-photo-post1533718561.html#post1533718561

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...lease-help-post1533668418.html#post1533668418

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...eeded-alex-post1533699614.html#post1533699614

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ing-photos-post1533715929.html#post1533715929

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...ant-matter-post1533652501.html#post1533652501

Unfortunately, we are not omnipotent. Once an image is too blurry, we can't do much to sharpen it up. There is some new sharpening software that recently came out, but my sense is that it only works well on carefully selected test cases.

Perhaps, someone will experiment with your image, but don't expect miracles.

Cheers,

Tom M

Emily Watson

Banned
There are limitations with deblurring this image as it does not have much detail to recover. You can go for shake reduction and high pass filter to achieve some sharpen, though I’m not quite sure about the readability of those texts.

nandia

Thank you both for your immediate answers. It rather seems there are quite a few people with deblurring issues :p
My image comes from a mobile phone and it was actually the photo of a poster found in a club some time ago. Impressive poster, isn’t it? I’ d like to be able to read the logos so I can find the poster on the internet and see who the musician is, if it is a real person! Great expectations you’ ll say but you can find almost anything on the web, right? I have tried gimp (I am just an amateur at photo editing I must admit!) and before I posted my question I had tried to sharpen it using different programs which I downloaded for free, like smartblur, Photo! Editor, and Blurity - but all in vain. So, I thought I should ask for professional help but you are right, CSI is just a tv series! Nevertheless, if someone is still willing (and curious) to experiment with my image and try to make out what the logos say, I would be thrilled and more than thankful.
Anyway, you are a great forum to put up with photo-editing illiterate people like me - many thanks for your eagerness on behalf of all of us! You see, others have blurred personal moments, mine is just a case of great curiosity to find out about the identity of the man in the poster.
:)

Edit: the logo at the top, could it be sth like Magic or Mage? And the one at the bottom LIVE ...TURE - I can' t really make out.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not at all sure about the top, but the bottom reads "---- pictures".

I believe I've seen this before and and I think its a movie production logo.

nandia

Hi, everybody!
I' ve been reading your posts and would like to thank all the above posters for their helpful suggestions and experiments. I' ve been googling movie production logos but with no result. It goes without saying that I will keep googling...
Now, concerning "LIVE PICTURES", I think there are only 6 letters in the second word and not 7 (at least I can discern only 6 in black). Could it be PICTURE then? RETURN? FUTURE?
Am I wrong or is there a figure above those two words like a person? I cropped the image right there and searched in google images for similar pictures but without any luck again.
I bet the poster is somewhere out there on the world web, hiding, waiting to be discovered... As if we didn' t have greater issues to deal with - but you know what? it' s a puzzle and some of us like solving puzzles once in a while. It' s like a bet you put on yourself :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The bottom logo and words may only have 7 letters..........??????? It could read 'return' or 'future'. It's a guessing game for now.

Again, I'm more certain about the icon being a production company logo than I am about what the words read.

I like a good mystery and I spent about 2 hours yesterday searching. I have so many other things I need to be doing. Good luck!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah ha, I knew I had seen that somewhere! Better lucky than good! LOL!!

Tom Mann

Guru
Good find, both of you!

My only question is, "What in the world happened to that poor photo between the version Nandia posted, and Sam's presumably earlier version?" Someone, presumably in the name of art, really did a number on the original image, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

nandia

I came home from work really tired and after reading the latest posts, here I am with a big smile on my face. You, people, are awesome – thanks for carrying on the investigation.
I have come to the conclusion that although it is the photo of a real person, it isn’ t any of the well known jazz players – but I will google it a little more in case I am wrong.

Many many thanks to IamSam, chrisdesign, Tom Mann and the rest of you!! Those two days on the forum have been really interesting.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Indeed....excellent sleuthing there......Sherlock would be proud!

I even used a crossword helper to fill in the blanks but still got nowhere.

Well done Sam for the initial 'picture' deciphering.....funnily enough I could see 'Live' but not 'picture' until Sam mentioned it......and I still couldn't find anything relative.

I guess 'Inc' was the final piece of the jigsaw.

Regards.
MrToM.

nandia

I almost envy you guys for having the skills to edit pictures and change them the way you like. Well, I regret to say I am not a master of picture editing and this is as far as I can get after a couple of hours of experimenting with gimp. Forgive my unskillfulness, I just wanted to show some gratitude in return of your interest and make a point that the jazzman was indeed hidden in a corner, quietly waiting to be discovered. Then he came alive like magic! And you all helped!

And thanks for proving me right that one can find anything on the internet as long as they have the patience and the time to search – and some luck or inspiration, right? We should declare IamSam googlesearch guru from now on :p

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks @chrisdesign @nandia @Tom Mann @MrToM

Both Chris and nandia were actually very instrumental in how I finally ended up finding the image. It was Chris's revised (cleaned up) version of the original that I used in combination with the production companies name that lead me straight to it.

I suspected the lower logo as being that of a production company as I had seen it before. I thought that the second word was "pictures", but I was unsure of the first. I originally focused my search on finding the logo, but I never tried the word "live". It wasn't until nandia found her lead and identified the logo and the companies name that I came up with the idea of combining the name with Chris's image.

I changed the name of Chris's image to "live picture":
Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 9.52.40 PM.png

Then I dropped the image into Googies image search and this is what popped up:
Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 9.52.53 PM.png

Seriously? After about 3 hours (2 days) total searching? It couldn't have been that easy? But it was. The rest was a piece of cake!

Note: Take a look at the time stamp on my post #12 was 8:17. I had not found the image yet. Notice the time stamp on post #13. That's how fast I found it! Go figure.