What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reproduce this filter in Photoshop.

alexbb

I have been applying the Serria Instagram filter to some of the B&W photographs I took and I really like the results. My question is how do I create this look in photoshop? What settings should i change in photoshop, filters, etc)

Before

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.24.40 PM.png

After instagram filter

rScreen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.25.01 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you referring to the slight color tint? If so, just add a hue & sat layer set to colorize, adjust the saturation.

Not exact..........
Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.15.01 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is just a slight curves adjustment........
Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.34.20 PM.png

alexbb

Thanks Sam, I was hoping I could find the exact color of the Sierra filter. I'm looking to have the exact filter/color to make big prints out of this image. Unfortunately I can't do that with the instagram photo. The one you posted is not exact and I was hoping somehow I could find a way to get the exact match.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, it's going to be a matter of experimentation on your part using Photoshop. Unless someone has copied the Sierra filter for Ps.

This is with a Curves adjustment and a photo filter.

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.48.58 PM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
How does this grab you? The image dimensions are now just under 5000 x 5000 pixels, whereas the version you posted was only around 610 px square. I brought out a bit more detail, as well as added a tiny bit of grain to give viewers' eyes something to focus onto. It should now be able to be printed up to around 24 inches square and still look reasonable.

Tom M

Attachments

• TJM-AFTER_INSTAGRAM-up_rezed_8x-ps14a_sRGB_-01.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

Tom Mann

Guru
And for direct comparison with the version that you posted, I brought the 5k x 5k px version back down to around 600 px.

Tom M

Attachments

• TJM-AFTER_INSTAGRAM-up_rezed_8x-ps14a_sRGB_-02_back_down_to_700px.jpg
    TJM-AFTER_INSTAGRAM-up_rezed_8x-ps14a_sRGB_-02_back_down_to_700px.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15

Tom Mann

Guru
I just re-read my post and realized that I forgot to say explicitly what I did, and why I did it.

Basically, rather than trying to find a general procedure to reproduce in PS all the color, tonal, vignetting and other changes that the Instagram filter makes to an image, I realized that for very soft images like this one, a much easier, and certainly equally viable alternative is to simply up-rez the small Instagram image to the size needed, and introduce some fine detail in the high rez version to fool the viewers' eyes into thinking there is more detail present than there really is.

This is done all the time for advertising posters originally shot on DSLRs instead of high megapixel medium and large format digital backs. You'll often see this approach used in woman's clothing stores - they turn what would normally be a very soft image (after enlargement / up-rezing) into a grainy pop culture "look" that becomes part of their branding.

HTH,

Tom M