What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less details

dvvandevelde

Hi,

I've shot the full moon yesterday, I've got quite a good version of the Black and White moon with lot of details, later in the night I tried to shoot the red moon, but this one is less sharp than my BW version, is there a way to blend the colors of the softer version with the BW version which offers lot more details, I've aligned and ajusted in size both versions, I tried all blending modes and also the blending options in layer style but none gave me the result I'm expecting..

Any idea or suggestion?

Thx in advance for your help

(See pics in attachment)bw-moon.jpgred-moon.jpg

Re: Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less detai

Are you trying to achieve something like this
moon.jpg

If so all I did was
Open both images and create a new layer above the bw moon layer, then go to the color moon image and make a selection of the moon and copy it into the bw moon image place it away from the bw moon you'll only be using it for the colors. Select the bw moon layer and make a selection of the moon do not deselect the selection! then select the new layer
Opened up the Gradient Editor and sampled a color for the left and right stops from the colored moon you can turn off this layer once you have the gradient setup
Double click on the Gradient Editor to edit it
Gradient Editor.jpg

Double click the Stops to change the color for the left and right Gradient
Gradient Edit.jpg

Left Stop Color
left gradient.jpg

Right Stop Color
right gradient.jpg

Set the Gradient to Linear and hold down the shift key and apply the Gradient from left to right just outside the moon on both sides, then change the blend mode of this layer to Linear Light

P.S. you can play around with the Gradient colors until you get the desired effect for the Gradient

Last edited:
Re: Blending details from a BW picture with same picture in color but with less detai

Thx for the very well explained answer, I'm gonna try it with a gradient of the colors that are in my color version... is there a way to automatically create a gradient from the colors of an existing image or do I have to pick each color variation with the color picker?

Not that I'm aware of, but somebody here may have a better method than mine. I only had to sample two colors with the color picker. One from inside the left and again from inside the right. You can sample different area's until you get the desired colors you want for the Gradient.
Applying the Gradient will do the rest for you!

Last edited:

Back