What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refine Edge help and suggestions?

Rufkraft

Greetings out there in Guru land,

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a refine edge/mask. I have a project which requires masking of a bunch of piles of dirt..yes, dirt. I basically need to make the edge as clean as possible for the images will be transferred onto a black background. I have been through it a few times and can't seem to get it right. I've watched tutorials with people using refine edge for hair and such but it hasn't stuck.

Does anyone have a preference on a tutorial video that explains refine edge and the use of smart radius? Or can someone direct me to a past thread on the matter? Or possible just help out on the thread? Any help is greatly appreciated! I've attached an image as to get an idea what i'm working with. This dirt has worms in it.:thumbsup:Worms1.jpg

Thanks!!!

Rufkraft

I guess my main question is after selecting the dirt and applying a mask what steps do i need to take to remove the white, just the white background, without affecting the similarly colored, off white pixels in the soil? Thanks!

Rufkraft

Awesome. Used levels to make a selection then modify>contract&feather with a little brush editing. Thanks @dv8_fx! The color range is new to me and looks like a lot of fun. Thanks @gedstar! Here are my results:worm2.jpgMy next one to work on! Whoo!

PSG rocks!

Attachments

• Tupur1.jpg
    Tupur1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Rufkraft

So my workflow for these projects today:

1Duplicate x2
2:Levels
3:Threshold
4:color range>apply selection