What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood Grain Removal

bobafitz

Hi,

I have been asked the question if i can recolour this piece of furniture to look like its painted... i.e. remove the wood grain and finish with a smooth(ish) painted effect. It also need to be a process that i can repeat over for other images. I have had a play around but i can't see a way to remove the highlights and shadows that create the grain itself... and maintain the highlights and shadows that keep it looking like a real bit of furniture.
wood.jpg
If any one had any advise on a possible processing that would be great.
Thanks

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I don't think there's an easy way to achive what you want if this is what you want:

closet no woodgrain.jpgcloset no woodgrain 01.jpg

I ended up selecting every single panel. At first I tried with average blur but ended with coloring each panel with solid color.
Then I had to make each selection darker or lighter with the dodge or burn tool.
Altering the closet door took me half an hour, so if you want to do the complete closet prepare yourself for a painstaking work.

That is if I'm correct there's no other way to remove the wood grain.
If there is, I will hear it on this forum...

:mrgreen:

I don't think there's an easy way to achive what you want if this is what you want:

I ended up selecting every single panel. At first I tried with average blur but ended with coloring each panel with solid color.
Then I had to make each selection darker or lighter with the dodge or burn tool.
Altering the closet door took me half an hour, so if you want to do the complete closet prepare yourself for a painstaking work.

That is if I'm correct there's no other way to remove the wood grain.
If there is, I will hear it on this forum...

:mrgreen:

Very nice job Eggy!
There is a little "shortcut" in this painstaking work.
The 3 doors at the bottom are the same size. You just have to do it once, and flip one door.
The 2 glass doors at the top are the same size. You just have to do it once and flip it.

Just put them each on a layer and move them to the appropriate place.

wood+.jpg

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I forgot to mention this Chris. Thanks for reminding me.
But still, the OP is awaiting a long work but hey, the 3 P's...

bobafitz

Thanks Chaps... i thought this was the case, i just wanted to check i was't missing something that was 'more' automated'. Manual it will be then... and nice work Eggy.