What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to fix and enlarge pixelated outline

illko

Hi guys,

I found an old drawing on my hard disk, and I want to use it for a project.
The problem is that image is with small resolution and when I zoom it it is pixelated.

It is simple line drawing with no colors. Is there a way to scale it without
loosing quality. I tried to trace it with illustrator, but it is has so small resolution
that it can't trace all lines correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Tr1plex

Without seeing it, it's hard to say what steps may be needed. There is, most likely, no easy solution.
One "trick" that has assisted me in the past is simply adjusting the levels (ctrl+l).
But that will just sharpen the lines and help to get rid of some of your random artifacts.
Sometimes duplicating original layer (ctrl+j) with a bit of Gaussian blur and overlay blend might help.

But again, have to see it to say.
Hope this helps.

Tom Mann

Guru
In my experience, when confronted with a situation where all you have is a really low rez version, rather than wasting time playing around with different up-rez'ing techniques that probably will never be satisfactory, just bring it into AI, turn Image / Live Trace loose on it, and then use the results as a guide to re-drawing it from scratch.

Sorry to be so pessimestic, but I've been down this road too many times.

Good luck with it.

Tom M