What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Questions

maggie2

Hi,
I need help with two things.
1. I want to draw a circle using the shape tool. I want it to ONLY have the stroked outline, no fill. When I do this I get only a 1 pixel circle outline. Is there a way to make the outline 5 or 6 pixels wide? If so, how?

2. I am looking for script fonts that are outline only. They have to be script AND outline and I don't find many on the free fonts site. If anyone has any sites they use for such fonts could you please give me a link? I realize this is not strictly Photoshop related so if I shouldn't ask this question, just ignore it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Marg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi,
I need help with two things.
1. I want to draw a circle using the shape tool. I want it to ONLY have the stroked outline, no fill. When I do this I get only a 1 pixel circle outline. Is there a way to make the outline 5 or 6 pixels wide? If so, how?

There's a window for selecting the stroke width.
Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 12.30.14 PM.png

maggie2

Hi,
I don't get that screen. Mine only has the stroke and then the color, nowhere to choose the size. That's why I asked.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If at all possible, could you post a screen shot of what you do have?

maggie2

If at all possible, could you post a screen shot of what you do have?

Here's my screen:

screen.jpg

I want to draw a circle around the mandala and all I'm getting is a one-pixel line and I'd like it to be about 5 pixels wide.

Rich54

Guru
Marg,
I have Photoshop CS5, which looks closer to what you have. On your shape layer, when you add a Stroke layer style to it (which you did), you should see the dialog box that pops up as shown in my first attachment below. That pop-up window asks you for the color and size of your stroke. In my example I chose a black stroke of 5 pixels. Do you not have a similar window when you added the stroke to your design?

Regarding a script font that's an outline only, you can easily do that with any font (see my second attachment). Select any font and type some text. Click on the Fx button to add a layer style (same process as for the shape layer) and create a stroke of your desired size and color and click ok. Now... in that text layer, change the Fill to be 0%. (Fill is different from Opacity... make sure you select Fill, as shown in my second attachment.) With the fill set to zero, all that remains is the stroke. It's still an active text layer, so you can resize it, change the font, etc. and the stroke will automatically follow along.

Stroke.jpg

Script Text.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Just re-read your original question. On your shape layer, you need to do the same thing as the script text example, which is set the Fill to zero. Only the stroke will remain.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Rich! The only thing I will add is that you can lower the layers fill opacity and only the stroke will show.

maggie2

Hey Rich,
THANK YOU a million for the help. Both your suggestions worked beautifully. I now can make any font I want an outline and I can make my circles thicker. You have saved me hours and hours of work. Thank you again, so much.
Marg