What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layering help? Is there any way to split layers?

Jed_Trently

Hi,

Basically what I want to do is split a layer in half but keep the underlying images intact. For example: http://www.klynt.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/xMenu_horizontal.png.pagespeed.ic.WqOWbVYGXm.jpg

Something like that. Because it's a web design project, each time the mouse hovers over one of those images, it should reveal itself in full and spread across the page covering those other 2 images. The actual action of doing this isn't my problem, I do that in a web design program.

Since I use PSD to import into the web design program I need to mock up the image in photoshop then transfer it into this other program.

My issue is, I can't find a way to have the whole spread of each of the 3 images without cutting or cropping them. Is there a way to split the canvas into multiple layers so the image can remain intact whilst placing the selected images side by side.

It's just that I don't want either of the images to take priority over layer since that would display the full image over the canvas, and I also need to keep the whole image, so I can't crop it

Thanks guys

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You can accomplish this using layer masks.

Masks.jpg

As my sample image shows, the mask (indicated by mask icon in layer) hides and exposes portions of the image.

Make sure to have the default fore and background colors selected (black / white)

Select the topmost layer image. Create a selection at the top 1/3 of the image. Click Create Vector Mask icon as indicated.

Repeat the process on the second lower layer but creating the selection in the middle area.

For the lowest first layer, you have the option to add a mask or not at the bottom area of image.

Hope this helps.....

Jed_Trently

You can accomplish this using layer masks.

View attachment 59567

As my sample image shows, the mask (indicated by mask icon in layer) hides and exposes portions of the image.

Make sure to have the default fore and background colors selected (black / white)

Select the topmost layer image. Create a selection at the top 1/3 of the image. Click Create Vector Mask icon as indicated.

Repeat the process on the second lower layer but creating the selection in the middle area.

For the lowest first layer, you have the option to add a mask or not at the bottom area of image.

Hope this helps.....

Brilliant! That's exactly it! Cheers buddy