What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tie dye/blend effect

robotocha

Hi guys,

I'm trying to recreate these tie dye effects, however it's quite unconventional so many of the tutorials online don't really help me.

VgAxs.jpg
451cc06ce056aa0a3b6a147761133d28.jpg

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! :cheesygrin:

robotocha

Thank you for the welcome :)

Yep, thats the post i saw it on. Tried to download the brushes but they cost money. Just wondering if there is any alternative to this other than buying the brushes. If there are any other methods of getting a similar effect.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, if your serious about this effect, a little investment should not stand in your way. I think they were just $6.00.

Your ability to re-create this effect with the accuracy and realism of the images you posted will be determined by your proficiency with Photoshop. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being an expert, what's your experience level with Photoshop?

This effect may take several different techniques depending on how accurate you wish to be.

First you will need to create the Tie Dye effect. This video drove me insane! I wanted to smash my computer while watching it! But it's a starting point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iRpeGecl8o

It will show you how to create a convincing effect..............getting that effect to look right on the Tee Shirt will be another issue.

I also found these tutorials:

http://graphictrendsource.com/2012/06/03/tie-dye-effects-using-photoshop/

http://graphictrendsource.com/2012/06/17/fashion-design-tutorials-tie-dye-butterfly/

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb2&file=viewtopic.php&t=204337

(Google is your friend, give it a try!)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post any attempts you have made at this effect so we can see your progress?

robotocha

I would probably say i'm about a 7. I think purchasing the brushes will be the only option, however i dont know whether they will give me the effect im looking for. A bit of a risk but not too much of a loss. I've done all the tutorials you linked. I've had a couple of attempts but this is probably the best one.
tie proto.jpg
It came out more as a marbled effect. This was after i experimented whilst watching the first video you linked.

MrToM

Guru
...This video drove me insane! I wanted to smash my computer while watching it!...
:biglaff: Well......you have my attention now buddy......what was/is wrong with it?

Was it the part when he did the clippy mask thing....did that raise the hairs on your neck? :rofl:
I know how much you lurrrrrrve clipping masks.
Did he get it a bit wrong...maybe?

I've not known you get this wound up over a video before....must have been something really bad to get you going....:thumbsup:

Please do tell......I have the :popcorn: ready.

Regards.
MrFrontRowSeat.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It came out more as a marbled effect. This was after i experimented whilst watching the first video you linked.
Please forgive, I'm just making observations and not trying to be overly critical. But your result looks a bit different than what I would've expected the outcome to be from that tutorial, even if you changed up the colors. Tie Dye by the sheer manner in which it is created, will almost have some circular or rotational characteristics. This is caused by the banding/binding that's used during the process.

Another Ps tool that might help with the effect is the Liquify Filter, you could really add some nice swirls to the base image.

@MrToM There's no way I would ever force myself to watch that video again! LOL!!! I value the hair left on my head! But if someone was holding a gun to my throat, I would just skip ahead to 4:42, grit my teeth, and start from there. I would have to ask that all objects capable of smashing a monitor where removed from the room first! He did use smart objects............I'll give him that one.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been thinking about this. Scary.

I think I would use an actual tie dyed texture and add that to the shirt before I would try to re-create the effect with Photoshop. Find a texture that you like and add that to an image of a tee. Very similar to what's been done here.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thank you for the welcome :)

Yep, thats the post i saw it on. Tried to download the brushes but they cost money. Just wondering if there is any alternative to this other than buying the brushes. If there are any other methods of getting a similar effect.

The DeviantArt page has a free download texture image created with the brushes. It looks good to use on a T-shirt sample.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
robotocha

You can make a search for TIE DYE TEXTURE for something you may like. This was created using the download at the brush's deviant page where it was offered....

DvCiCak.jpg

I'll have to experiment on how to create a PS variant ...... may take a while.

robotocha

My attempt didn't have any swirls or circular motions because i was trying to copy the effect exactly.
I will give the different techniques a go and also check out deviantart. Is there anything particular i should look at?

Also, thank you guys so much for your help. I wasn't expecting to get such responses as a first time user of this forum, but i have been greatly overwhelmed.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.