What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for help with an effect

dlc

Hi, i am new to Photoshop cc and i am updating my website but i am stuck with an effect that i have seen, i have spent two weeks now on what i first thought was a simple layer blend thing!
I was wrong, so i am asking for help even if some one can tel me what the effect is called, here is the effect i am trying to do.
james-content.jpg as you can see black and red but i am going to be using blue and black, the faded background is no problem it's the band members pictures i am struggling with.

Thanks
dlc

MrToM

Guru
This is just one example of how to create this...

You just need a good mask of the image first, although this will depend on the LOD you need in the final image.....the more detail the better the mask, the less detail, (as in my example), the less accurate you need to be.

Once you have the background removed applying the 'Posterize' filter will turn the greyscale image into a 1bit image....from here you can smooth it out with the noise...set to 'Median'. This can also be used to change the LOD should you need to at this stage.

Regards.
MrToM.

dlc

Hi MrToM, first i would like to thank you for your reply and the video.
Having spent all day yesterday watching the video and trying to reproduce this effect i am still missing something, possible a shortcut on the keyboard that's not in the video!
I say this because one or two things don't happen in my Photoshop like it does in the video and i can't work it out, my efforts don't look anything like yours, sorry but could you
possible give me a break down on the procedure please as it's the right one and is brill, thanks.

Regards
Dlc

MrToM

Guru
Sorry for the late reply....couldn't login to the site for the last 24 hours but solved now.

You didn't actually say what problems you are having....what didn't work for you?

I tried not to use shortcuts for the reasons you outlined, using the 'long way' by clicking on the menu items and options.

If you let me know what you cannot do then I'll have a better chance of explaining it....rather than go through the whole process.....again.

Regards.
MrToM.

dlc

Hi, okay i hope this does not boor you to much, I am building a website for my band and there is five of us and the web page has a blue gradient on it like the red one in the picture, the image of the band member has to be put on this background so as to line up and match the page background here is one of the pages to give you an idea.

exp.jpg

This has not turned out right as you can see + i can't remember how i did it now.
It's just that none of my pictures turn out right when i do it.

Thanks
dlc

MrToM

Guru
...Hi, okay i hope this does not boor you to much...
Not at all.....just trying to nail down what it is you are having problems with.

...This has not turned out right as you can see...
Well, no, not really.

I understand what you are trying to do but you still haven't said what part of the process you are having trouble with.

You said there was a part of my video that you didn't follow.....well, which part?

If you can tell me that then I can explain what or how I did it....but I need to know what it is first.

Regards.
MrToM.