What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to change a color of a shoe/garment into another specific color...

Luciobar1980

Hey guys, so I recently ran into this assignment. I have a shoe that has different panels/areas. Let's just say that the tongue is a certain orange color but I want to change the tongue to the specific shade of blue r70 g103 b224. Here is how I did it, and let me know if this is incorrect or if there is a better way. I first made a selection of the tongue. I then used a black & white adjustment layer to make the tongue a neutral gray. Then, I created a fill color adjustment layer and filled with my specific blue color, then changed the blending mode to Overlay.

Is this correct?

Is the resulting blue the correct specific blue? This is for a catalog where the product color must match exactly the rgb color requested.

Is there a different blending more that will give me a more accurate blue?

Thanks guys!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Remember, "overlay" is a blending mode.

Overlay - Multiplies or screens the colors, depending on the base color. Patterns or colors overlay the existing pixels while preserving the highlights and shadows of the base color. The base color is not replaced, but mixed with the blend color to reflect the lightness or darkness of the original color.

Here is a swatch of fabric that I used your exact technique on, including your RGB colors.
Note, the RGB values shown in the info panel sample.
Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 8.08.00 PM.png

It' may make a difference if the shoes tongue was a solid material without texture.

Found this tutorial that might help. I have not tried it yet.

http://projectwoman.com/2011/01/color-an-object-to-match-an-exact-color-in-photoshop.html

Last edited:

Luciobar1980

Thanks Iamsam! That tutorial you linked to seems to be the way to go. Anyone else have a suggestion/comment?

Make a new layer above the Original Shoe image.
Fill it with the color of your choice. Blend mode set to Overlay.
Add a layer mask.
Make a selection of the part you want to have the color. Invert the selection.
Hit delete on the layer mask.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-11-11 um 18.00.28.png

Shoes Original.jpg Shoes colored version.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Perhaps part of the confusion comes from the very statement of the goal, ie, "I want to achieve the exact same shade of blue (70, 103,224)".

Specifying all three rgb numbers is equivalent to saying that the hue, saturation and luminosity all are specified and can't vary from point to point in the image.

This clearly can *not* be what you mean because if you did this, there would be absolutely no texture left in the object whose color you changed -- all you would have is an absolutely uniform wash of thick blue paint over the area of interest. More likely, what you want is for the hue, or possibly for the hue and saturation to be specified, but the luminosity allowed to vary in the same way as it did in the original (ie, to preserve some texture).

Techniques to do this are what Sam and Chris illustrated.

HTH,

Tom M

Luciobar1980

Yup, I hear you, maybe I didn't explain that as clearly as I could have. What I want is to change the overall color, and maybe certain points to very close to the exact color I want. Of course if it was a solid match across the entire area I would be left with a flat, no texture result. Thanks guys!

Perhaps part of the confusion comes from the very statement of the goal, ie, "I want to achieve the exact same shade of blue (70, 103,224)".

Specifying all three rgb numbers is equivalent to saying that the hue, saturation and luminosity all are specified and can't vary from point to point in the image.

This clearly can *not* be what you mean because if you did this, there would be absolutely no texture left in the object whose color you changed -- all you would have is an absolutely uniform wash of thick blue paint over the area of interest. More likely, what you want is for the hue, or possibly for the hue and saturation to be specified, but the luminosity allowed to vary in the same way as it did in the original (ie, to preserve some texture).

Techniques to do this are what Sam and Chris illustrated.

HTH,

Tom M