What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with cloning/healing bokeh

VJ GreekFire

I can normally get my job done using a combination of cloning, patching, and spot healing. If I just stick with it long enough I can get the results I want, however the bokeh from streetlights has me genuinely stuck. I'm just finding it really hard to take out the unwanted spots while still maintaining the "natural" bokeh. What I've ended up with is a tangled mess.

Are there some more advanced techniques that I should be considering? I almost have what I want but am unable to get those well-defined curves that streetlights produce.

1K0A62311.jpg1K0A6231.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Removing the Bokeh is a matter of copying selections from the image and moving them.

I borrowed a selection from the right side BG of the image and moved it over to the left.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.51.41 AM.png

I added a layer mask and used the Brush Tool with Low settings to blend it in.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.51.59 AM.png

I temporarily made a stamp visible layer from the work I had done so far.
I then made a new selection from the copy which I moved over the remaining bright Bokeh.
I then deleted the stamped visible copy.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.52.21 AM.png

Again, I added a layer mask and used the Brush Tool to blend.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.52.41 AM.png

On a new layer, I used the straight Brush Tool to blend by sampling surrounding colors.

On a new layer, I also added some extra Bokeh effect using a Bokeh brush.
I lowered the layers opacity so the effect was subtle.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.53.10 AM.png

And finally, on yet another new layer, I used the Brush Tool to add back the loose hairs over the work.
I used the Blur Tool to blur the hairs to match the existing blur.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.53.24 AM.png

It's not perfect, but it does the trick.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 2.56.27 PM.png

Last edited: