What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create this effect in photoshop

francocelltime

Hi guys,

My name is Bobby, I have good knowledge in Photoshop. for some reason i can not create this effect in Photoshop (see image)
It would be great to know how i can create this effect. I know how to create masks and position the layer but was unable to achieve the same effect as shown in the image.
Your help is very appreciated.611_L_j7_WOIL_SX355.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Bobby and welcome to PSG.

Not sure what effect your asking about, can you describe the effect?

francocelltime

The depth of field between the camera and the lens. i will upload an image showing how it comes out when i did it on photoshop

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
And I thought you meant the shadow....

You'd be better off taking a picture of the lens unit from a higher angle or google search for an appropriate image.

Not saying it can't be done in PS but doing so will make it look out of perspective, Even in you intend to superimpose just the lens, distorting the unit to match the perspective will make it look artificial, at worse, faked as compared to your sample. It's a rebuild of the unit and not just a simple cut and paste......

edit...... I saw TomMann's post just now..... and he's right,,,, it's not depth of field. But rather the Point of View of the lens shot.....

Tom Mann

Guru
I don't understand. "Depth of field" effects mean that parts of the photo are intentionally out of focus, whereas other parts are in focus. In the example you just posted, everything looks pretty much in focus, at least on my iPhone.

Might you be referring to the slight shadowing under each of the objects that is visible in the first image you posted?

Tom M

PS - just saw dV8's thought that you are thinking of a changed perspective / camera position. Which is it?

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I don't understand. "Depth of field" effects mean that parts of the photo are intentionally out of focus, whereas other parts are in focus. In the example you just posted, everything looks pretty much in focus, at least on my iPhone.

Might you be referring to the slight shadowing under each of the objects that is visible in the first image you posted?

Tom M

PS - just saw dV8's thought that you are thinking of a changed perspective / camera position. Which is it?

LOL.... and both of us editing our posts at almost the same time......

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it may be the size. If you increase the size of the lens, move it lower (maybe in front of the camera body) it will appear to be closer to the viewer.

Slight blur on the camera body.
Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 12.14.55 PM.png

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
francocelltime says...
The depth of field between the camera and the lens. i will upload an image showing how it comes out when i did it on photoshop

I think the OP is asking how to achieve the effect that the lens appears to be closer to us than the camera-body. In the OP's attempt (post #4 of this thread) the two objects just seem to float in space and one doesn't seem closer to us than the other. I think it's the drop-shadow that gives the effect. I took the OP's post #4 and added drop shadows, and now the lens appears closer. The drop-shadows anchor both objects to a common surface, creating the illusion of depth.

test2.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I think the OP is asking how to achieve the effect that the lens appears to be closer to us than the camera-body. In the OP's attempt (post #4 of this thread) the two objects just seem to float in space and one doesn't seem closer to us than the other. I think it's the drop-shadow that gives the effect. I took the OP's post #4 and added drop shadows, and now the lens appears closer. The drop-shadows anchor both objects to a common surface, creating the illusion of depth.

View attachment 59797

Or a tilt-shift blur with vertical focus on the mid lens

test 001.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Seems to be happening often these days.