What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i recreate this look?

Paul

Former Member
Doing a retro styled comic book cover with all my own new characters, just need some tips/help on how to get that look:cheesygrin:

Detective_Comics_(1937)_-168.jpg
colours back ground effects and fonts please, no links out to other sites been looking and not happy with outcome, anyone?

MrToM

Guru
What do you want us to say?

You can sample the colours, Google the fonts and as for background effects....well, that's not beyond you surely?

Not sure what help you need to be honest....I'd have thought you could do this in your sleep!

Regards.
MrPoM.

Paul

Former Member
Having computer issues i think, or Photoshops playing up again, thanks for support.

MrToM

Guru
I've just had a large-ish Windows update and that seems to stuffed things up as usual....so you're not on your own!

[rant]
It takes more time these days to just get everything working than doing the actual work itself!

...and by the time you have another update has come along to stuff it all up again!

[/rant]

Regards.
MrPoM.

gedstar

Guru
I've just had a large-ish Windows update and that seems to stuffed things up as usual....so you're not on your own!

[rant]
It takes more time these days to just get everything working than doing the actual work itself!

...and by the time you have another update has come along to stuff it all up again!

[/rant]

Regards.
MrPoM.

Had that update too and no issues to report on my PC, everything working fine :giggle:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Anyone got any ideas?

My question is ..... what colors are your characters in?

I might be wrong but retro toons are in basic colors..... not in millions of color shades.... lol. ..... not much gradient colors and a whole lot of shading in some cases.

My best bet is to examine the drawing and color style of the old-school comic artists. In my opinion, they have a tendency to use psychedelic colors......

Helios

I'd be interested to see the work in progress, Paul. That way we could have something to work with as a comparison and see where you might need to tweak stuff.

One thing I'd advise in general though is to simply start by trying to recreate your example. Copy the characters, arrange the text etc - take note of how many different fonts have been used for one thing (stylistically a very different approach to what designers might do today). There is a lot to be learned from the process of emulating a style that is different to what you might normally do yourself.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Paul

Former Member
My question is ..... what colors are your characters in?

I might be wrong but retro toons are in basic colors..... not in millions of color shades.... lol. ..... not much gradient colors and a whole lot of shading in some cases.

My best bet is to examine the drawing and color style of the old-school comic artists. In my opinion, they have a tendency to use psychedelic colors......

Just single or treble colours but very saturated almost like blown out.

Paul

Former Member
This is just a quick knock up, the way i intend to go with it, not that easy to recreate that certain look, without redrawing the characters back in my self.

KRK.jpg the font is a retro one (thanks dv8) images just had various Photoshop effects added and played with, placement is very hard to hit correctly i am finding, thoughts...

Helios

Yes, completely agree with DV - it needs to have those bold, black outlines and you'll be a lot closer to what you're after.

The other thing I've noted from retro comics is that there is often some sense of extreme perspective in the way that the characters are arranged, like you're looking at them down a tube - this isn't happening in your example, granted, but it could be something to consider to add some dynamism to your composition.

The background is looking a little bare at the moment, try to look at what comic covers do to make themselves busy, even with just a couple of characters present. In your example, there is bright, bold 'flare' shape behind them. This might not be the shape you're after, so look for other examples I guess.
Maybe you could incorporate the Death Star to fulfill this purpose by making it larger and more central?