What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would I make a white background with shadowing?

rmfrmldn

Screenshot_1.png
Hey, gurus.
How would I go about making a completely white background so that I can take pictures of my hats like this. (including shadowing)
I don't have a photography studio or any white backcloth for the background. Would it be possible to do the same thing in Photoshop to make it look realistic like this,
and if so how would I go about doing this.

Thank you. If anyone could guide me through it I can test to see if it works. :confused:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi....

You can set up your caps or other props on a blue or green screen backdrop. Any object is easier to isolate on any of these 2 colors.

In PS, delete the background, add in the shadows and whatever color correction that needs to be done.....

Rich54

Guru
Another choice is to improvise a photo studio with a roll of seamless backdrop paper, available in different sizes at most photography stores. That, and a roll of masking tape, lets you create a plain white background to shoot your photos.

imgp2988.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Even a white sheet would be better than a colored background. This is not a green screen situation like in video. In this case, the background is much closer to the subject. This often results in color casts on the product (from uncontrolled light bouncing around), and a thin colored line around the product unless the masking is done well. A darker colored background will also throw off the auto exposure & auto white balance of simple cameras / inexperienced photographers. None of these problems will arise with a white background. Seamless paper is the way to go, but even an old white bedsheet will do. In the latter case the wrinkles that are likely present will be gone when a flawless white fake background is dropped in.

Tom M