What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shortcut Help w/transform>reduce size>reduce opacity

PS_Steve

Years ago I had an instructor show a series of about a 4 key command which was related to command T. The task I'm trying to accomplish is... To take selected portion of my image and copy layer>reduce size (20 percent)>reduce opacity(20 percent). I can't remember the key command. Please help... btw I'm using CS6 on a macbook pro

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG. So far this is the only shortcut I have found that your looking for.

Layer Opacity shortcut.

The number keys changes the layer opacity except when you have any paint tool selected that has opacity for the brush and then the number keys change the brush opacity.

With non paint tools, the 0 (zero) key = 100% opacity and the 1 key equals 10% opacity.

If you want an opacity less than 10%, let's say 5%, then hitting the 0 then 5 in quick succession would give you 5% opacity. Double-tap the number 0 on your keyboard to choose 0% opacity.

http://www.digitalscrapper.com/blog/opacity-shortcuts/

PS_Steve

That's useful but not quite what I was looking for. I probably wasn't clear enough w/my question. See the attached image and you will see what I'm going for. He used a very quick combination to copy the layer>reduce size>reduce opacity all in one shot. This was several years ago, so my memory may not be exact. But I know it was a really fast move that copied and reduced size, then maybe he just quickly reduced opacity after? But I wanna say that it involved command T and a few other keys?
Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 10.56.55 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To me this looks like step and repeat. You would have to change the opacity afterwards.

Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.14.04 AM.png

Ill explain in the next post.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Start with your rectangle:
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.16.32 AM.png

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy.
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + T to enter Free Transform.
Select your Move Tool.
Move the the copied layer to the position you desire.
Hold the shift key and the Opt/Alt key, use the corner transform handle to reduce the size.
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.20.18 AM.png

Hit enter to accept the state change.

Now hold the shift + opt/alt + cmd/cntrl and hit the T key to make as many progressive copies as you like.
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.23.38 AM.png

Now it's a matter of going back and changing the opacity.
Select the last copy and hit the 2 key, select the second to last copy and hit the 4 key...........etc,.
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 1.25.44 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If there's a way to include the opacity change in the process, I'm just not aware of it.

SCTRWD

Power User
You can use layer mask to change the opacity.

Create your layer. Add white layer mask to it.
Transform it as you like, undo the transform.
Now record new action like this one:

Layer Via Copy
Transform current path
With Last Transform​
Select mask channel
Without Make Visible​
Curves
Preset Kind: Custom
Adjustment: curves adjustment list
curves adjustment
Channel: current channel
Curve: point list
point: 20, 0
point: 255, 235​

Assign some shortcut to the action and use it repeatedly.
To make finer or coarse opacity change between the steps change the Curves settings accordingly.

Last edited: